PDA

View Full Version : css text

richcodesign
10-09-2009, 05:34 PM
What is the "norm" on setting font size?

I have been given mixed messages on using pt, px, ems.

Id like to know what people would recommend.

Thanks

domedia
10-09-2009, 07:41 PM
You're going to get mixed recommendations here as well :)
I use both em and px. None are 'wrong' per se, it's pretty much up to what you're comfortable with.

d a v e
10-09-2009, 07:49 PM
pts are for print style sheets only. text in all modern common browsers - and anything else your audience might be using to make sure it's all at least usable, if not necessarily consistent ;)

DWcourse
10-10-2009, 06:49 PM
I prefer % for setting the font-size in the body style (an IE bug screws things up if you use ems there) and ems through out the rest of the document. That lest me increase/decrease all font-sizes by just changing the body setting.

But really pixels are OK except for some accessibility problems in IE6 (the user can't resize type set in pixels).

d a v e
10-10-2009, 07:01 PM
"But really pixels are OK except for some accessibility problems in IE6 (the user can't resize type set in pixels)."
quite a sticking point though :)

DWcourse
10-10-2009, 07:13 PM
"But really pixels are OK except for some accessibility problems in IE6 (the user can't resize type set in pixels)."
quite a sticking point though :)

I'll agree with that. And BTW the resize issue isn't just limited to IE6 but is also present in newer versions. (when I start thinking of browser issues and type IE it's hard not to add the 6).