PDA

View Full Version : I'm new, and need help

thenewmoon
10-08-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm try to learn dreamweaver to create my own website " its my project in school"
first of all I want to make the HOME PAGE
so I need to put a tabs on the left side with a small picture.
I will attach a picture, so u will know what i want to do.

Hoping that someone can help me.
thanks

WotNow
10-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi! Not sure what you mean by tabs on the left side, are you referring to the navigation? There are many free tutorials on dreamweaver on the net, perhaps you should google how to build navigation. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

thenewmoon
10-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Nice to see ur reply.

I want to create my own website for my college project.
I have to make it on Dreamweaver.

Did you see the picture?
I want to put these on my website, in left side.
how can I put them? I want to make the flowers as icons to open the pages. Or I have to make a table and start to divide the page?
I don't know how to make them and as I told you I'm new in it and I'm lost.

I have Dreamweaver book and lessons on CD. but they are not explained many things that I need it.

Corrosive
10-08-2009, 12:01 PM
To create navigation you should use a list <ul> and then style that using CSS. You could set the individual flower icons by applying a separate class to each list item <li> that sets the flower icon as a background image. Steer clear of tables :)

thenewmoon
10-08-2009, 12:17 PM
To create navigation you should use a list <ul> and then style that using CSS. You could set the individual flower icons by applying a separate class to each list item <li> that sets the flower icon as a background image. Steer clear of tables :)

Sorry, but i didn't understand <ul> and <li>
I told you I'm new and i really don't know how to work with this software.
ahh i really confused, I feel that I can't do the website :(

Thanks for your response, I'm felt happy when I saw your reply

Corrosive
10-08-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm afraid that it takes a little while to learn how to build a website correctly. We can help you but you won't be able to do it overnight.

thenewmoon
10-08-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm afraid that it takes a little while to learn how to build a website correctly. We can help you but you won't be able to do it overnight.

Hi again Corrosive,
I'm sorry, the time is different between us, its 4:40 pm, so we still in day.
I hope u can help me, and teach me how built a website and give me some of ur experinse.
Thanks and hope to connect with u soon

thenewmoon
10-08-2009, 01:40 PM

Hi again Corrosive,
I'm sorry, the time is different between us, its 4:40 pm, so we still in day.
I hope u can help me, and teach me how built a website and give me some of ur experinse.
Thanks and hope to comunicated with u soon

Corrosive
10-08-2009, 01:51 PM
the time is different between us, its 4:40 pm

Sorry, slight communication/language thing there. When I said 'you won't be able to do it overnight' it is a saying. It means that you won't be able to create a website quickly. It will take you some time to learn what you are doing with website code and with the Dreamweaver software.

What is your deadline for the project?

thenewmoon
10-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Oooooh, sorry for misunderstanding. Its not my mother language, I'm still learning English language,
My english and american teachers said that I'm very good in english language,
So maybe because of that I felt some proud H :-l.My project dead line is on December,
But beside this project I have 12 project to do, therefore I want to finish as much that I
Can. I always like to finish my work quickly and not leave the work to the end.
My msg is too long, hehehe

WotNow
10-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi there is a great site that gives you the html code and css for navigation, here is the link http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/vertical08.htm

Hope this helps.

Corrosive
10-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Oooooh, sorry for misunderstanding. Its not my mother language, I'm still learning English language,
My english and american teachers said that I'm very good in english language,
So maybe because of that I felt some proud H :-l.My project dead line is on December,
But beside this project I have 12 project to do, therefore I want to finish as much that I
Can. I always like to finish my work quickly and not leave the work to the end.
My msg is too long, hehehe

Your English is very good :)

One more question is; is the project to design a website or is it something else that you have chosen to present as a website?

thenewmoon
10-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Hi there is a great site that gives you the html code and css for navigation, here is the link http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/vertical08.htm

Hope this helps.

I will try to study the site now, Iím sure it will helpful for me. It seems to be complicated but I will work hard. Thanks a lot.

thenewmoon
10-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Your English is very good :)

One more question is; is the project to design a website or is it something else that you have chosen to present as a website?

Hello,
Thanks for the compliment. Iím still trying to learn more English language. I want to be native speaker ;).

Yes, the project is to design a website but without put it on the internet. We will put it on college server, so just the students and teacher can open it.

In this project I have to learn how to use Dreamweaver and built a website on it, my own website which include pages such as About me, my projects, my photo and my favorite websites. That is it. And I donít have any idea how to use this program, so I have to start from zero. I feel itís so difficult.

WotNow
10-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Dont lose hope, we all started from the beginning, there are some great free tutorials on the net, even you tube tutorials so you can watch what they do.

domedia
10-09-2009, 07:43 PM
uhm and don't forget to RTFM ;)

Corrosive
10-10-2009, 03:54 PM
In this project I have to learn how to use Dreamweaver and built a website on it, my own website which include pages such as About me, my projects, my photo and my favorite websites. That is it. And I donít have any idea how to use this program, so I have to start from zero. I feel itís so difficult.

Is there a class you take to go with this project? Seems a bit mean to make you do it with no lessons.

thenewmoon
10-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Is there a class you take to go with this project? Seems a bit mean to make you do it with no lessons.

exactly, I have to do it by myself. our classes are independent learning. Therefore I called for a help.

I made the home page today, I felt happy.
but i have Q: can I copy the home page or is there a way to paste all pages to be like the home page?
I don't know if you understand me!!!!
I want to other pages look like home page, but when I tried to copy the page, i can't. I tried to copy the table which i made the home page on it, its copied but with different font.

I hope that u can understand me!!!

another Q: I tried to make a hyperlink between the pages but when I make it, its shows underline words on the words. Is there a solution?

Thanks alot

Corrosive
10-10-2009, 05:42 PM
exactly, I have to do it by myself. our classes are independent learning. Therefore I called for a help.

I made the home page today, I felt happy.
but i have Q: can I copy the home page or is there a way to paste all pages to be like the home page?
I don't know if you understand me!!!!
I want to other pages look like home page, but when I tried to copy the page, i can't. I tried to copy the table which i made the home page on it, its copied but with different font.

I hope that u can understand me!!!

another Q: I tried to make a hyperlink between the pages but when I make it, its shows underline words on the words. Is there a solution?

Thanks alot

OK, underlines on links are browser defaults. They appear 'naturally' if you like. You change these by defining the link styles in 'page properties' in Dreamweaver...

...but this leads me on to answering your other question. Websites should be built with an external CSS stylesheet that tells the divs (not tables) in your page how to behave and what styles they should have. The CCS contains all of the styles for your website including text styles.

This does two things. It separates style from content so that Search Engines can easily read your pages and it also means that you can make changes to the whole of your website by just changing one file.

I think that what you have done is defined your text styles in the 'head' section of your page and not in a separate sheet. By just copying the table you are not taking the text styles with you so they are reverting back to browser defaults.

thenewmoon
10-10-2009, 06:03 PM
OK, underlines on links are browser defaults. They appear 'naturally' if you like. You change these by defining the link styles in 'page properties' in Dreamweaver...

...but this leads me on to answering your other question. Websites should be built with an external CSS stylesheet that tells the divs (not tables) in your page how to behave and what styles they should have. The CCS contains all of the styles for your website including text styles.

This does two things. It separates style from content so that Search Engines can easily read your pages and it also means that you can make changes to the whole of your website by just changing one file.

I think that what you have done is defined your text styles in the 'head' section of your page and not in a separate sheet. By just copying the table you are not taking the text styles with you so they are reverting back to browser defaults.

I got first point and I will do it.

But other point, did you mean that what I did is wrong??
I follow the book to create the home page. I went to Site>New site, is that the correct way??
anyway, how can I make the CSS ??
in addition, I tried to open my page on Safari and Internet explorer and its work correctly!!!

Corrosive
10-10-2009, 06:09 PM
OK, you are not going about it in a modern way. People use CSS for sites nowadays.

Having said that, this is a school project with a few things on a page, for use on a college server. I'd carry on as you are. If it works in IE and Safari then that's OK.

If you ever decide to come back and learn web design properly one then we'll help you out with that as well :)

thenewmoon
10-10-2009, 06:55 PM
OK, you are not going about it in a modern way. People use CSS for sites nowadays.

Having said that, this is a school project with a few things on a page, for use on a college server. I'd carry on as you are. If it works in IE and Safari then that's OK.

If you ever decide to come back and learn web design properly one then we'll help you out with that as well :)

I want to learn web design, can you just tell me how can I start?
and I really surprised why my work is not CSS??
I attached a picture for the book which I'm using now for learn Dreamweaver.
and I think its a good book.

domedia
10-12-2009, 12:37 AM
I want to learn web design, can you just tell me how can I start?
and I really surprised why my work is not CSS??
I attached a picture for the book which I'm using now for learn Dreamweaver.
and I think its a good book.

You will not learn modern web design by using that book, it fails on the topic of CSS.

You should start with the manual that is in the help system of Dreamweaver. If you don't like using the help system, Adobe has the full info on their website, and you can even download it as a PDF. So you have three options there :)

If you do not have a good understanding of the basics of DW and web development after that, we need to find you other resources.
You're at an unfortunate spot though, because you're not able to separate a good learning resource from a bad one.

thenewmoon
10-14-2009, 09:55 AM

Thanks Corrosive
you are helpful
I will complete my work, and I'm suer you will help me if I need help
thanks again