PDA

View Full Version : Nothing Updates, Ever!!!!!!!

Letter A
10-06-2009, 09:51 PM
I need major help. No changes I ever make to my site update with ease. If I update a page, I have to try for days until the picture or whatever it is im trying to update updates and when this happens It seems to me that ive done nothing different and so why didn't it work the first 1000 times.
Now Im trying to update my template that my site is based on, and shock horror. None of the templates update. Why?? I have no reason. Is it my files organised incorrectly??? Some sort of code??? What am I doing that is making this bloody program so damn unresponsive. I have been using a tutorial to try and build my site and now should be at the point were I can update it myself with no help. Nothing works first time, Links, adding pictures, type. Nothing. This is driving me crazy. Somebody please tell me what it is im doing so wrong.
Aly

DWcourse
10-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Sounds like an issue defining your site: http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/define-your-site.php

Letter A
10-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Well, like i said I was following a tutorial
http://www.thesitewizard.com/gettingstarted/dreamweaver-cs4-tutorial-1.shtml

Im confident I did define my site.

DWcourse
10-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Are you talking about updating the site on your server or getting the local pages to update before you try to upload them?

Letter A
10-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Both tbh. If I test the site then it it might display what I just changed but if I click on another page and then click on a link back to the page I just altered it would have reverted to the unaltered page.
And if i try to PUT the pages on my site, nothing changes.
If I try to change a few pages based on a template nothing happens.
The bizarre thing is, however, that every now and again pages do change and I cant figure out why sometimes it works and most of the time it doesnt.

DWcourse
10-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Both tbh. If I test the site then it it might display what I just changed but if I click on another page and then click on a link back to the page I just altered it would have reverted to the unaltered page.

You don't understand Dreamweaver's preview function. It only works on the page you are previewing. Once you click on a link in your browser you are no longer previewing in Dreamweaver, you're looking at the saved state of the page you linked to. And if you link back to the original page, you're now looking at the saved state of that page not the preview of its current state in Dreamweaver.

And if i try to PUT the pages on my site, nothing changes.

If you confirm the pages are updated on your local hard drive and successfully put them to the server but the pages on the server aren't updated (even after refreshing in the browser) they you are probably not uploading the files to correct directory on the server. That's most likely a site definition issue.

If I try to change a few pages based on a template nothing happens.
The bizarre thing is, however, that every now and again pages do change and I cant figure out why sometimes it works and most of the time it doesnt.

If you update a locked (non-editable) region in the template, when you save the template, Dreamweaver will offer to update the pages that are based upon that template (provided that they were created using the new file command - not by opening the template and choosing Save As…).

If you make a change to a template in an editable region, that change won't be passed on to page created from the template.

Letter A
11-05-2009, 01:42 AM
Thanks for all your help so far. Well now Im updating y web pages fine- thanks, but I still cant update my template. I will alter a part which i think is uneditable usually, dreamweaver will ask if I want to update all the pages, to which I will reply yes, but no changes will be made??
Basically my site is divided into 3 columns and on the left hand side is essentially the sitemap. I wanted to add another section to the sitemap, but I want this change to be across all pages- Furthermore, it seems now that instead of updating the other pages, DW has altered them and moved bits around and if I try and move them back it says

"Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or a translator. The change will be discarded" I haven't come across this till now.
A

Sorry and one last thing, the blue boarder around my DIV Tags is showing up, but only on Firefox. How can I stop this???

thedon
11-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Aly, I have only started using dreamweaver for 4 months with no IT or computer skills and I hear you. I had a simular problem as when I updated my index file, I would be missing pictures etc, it was because I did not transfer my pictures and anything I updates to the server, only index.

When you "update" you mean transfer your files to the server? I do it through filezilla which makes it 10000000000000000 times easier for me. I just pick the file I want in my computer and drag it over to the server.

But if you ever start using spry tabbed panels, it will give you a new set of headaches, for me now I have text for my middle column going UNDER my right column in dreamweaver, it looks fine in IE and firefox, but it just disabled everything in the right column for me in dreamweaver so I can not edit them.

So good luck with your adventures