PDA

View Full Version : Locating source drive probs

silver surfer
10-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Hello everyone,

I really need your expert help. I've only been using dreamweaver for a few months. I made a few errors on my template in CS3, so i saved over (in explorer) the old one from my flash drive. No the template shows no links or pics, it's still trying to read everything from the the flash drive and not the local c:.

Does anyone know how to automatically get the template to re route to the c:? all the pics and links.

That does pose another question, how are you supposed to bring back files into dreamweaver from the external drive and keep the c: when you may need to copy back in an older version of a file?

Many Thanks

Corrosive
10-05-2009, 05:31 PM
You need to export and import sites using the inbuilt DW method. This creates a file with a .ste extension which you can use to transport your site settings and any template links you might have...

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/9.0/help.html?content=WScbb6b82af5544594822510a94ae8d6 5-7f3b.html

DWcourse
10-05-2009, 07:51 PM
If the site was configured correctly, the links in the template would have been relative to the document or the site root and should still work when moving a file from a backup to the current site.

Was the copy of the site on the flash drive a back up or were you actually working with it at one point?

And how did you move it from the flash to the c drive? Simply copying in Windows?

silver surfer
10-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks for replying.
Yes I copied it in windows explorer! doh. I never worked on the external copy of the template. It was just a backup. Is there a way I can correct the source files in dreamweaver? It's still sourcing from the H drive. I've gone over the site manager, it's set to the c: drive as originally set up.

DWcourse
10-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Well, Doh! You could have imported it through Dreamweaver, in which case your problems would make a bit of sense because what you're describing couldn't happen without some step you're not telling us.