PDA

View Full Version : OPINIONS NEEDED for handling EXIF 'encoded' JPG's from external sources

deafboyzaudio
10-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Hey,
Just starin this thread to get everyones input/comments/suggestions on handling this interesting issue.

I have a script that uploads jpg's. When I do the upload from the hard drive all works well in IE, FF, and Safari. When done directly from a camera it works in IE, but not in FF or Safari. I get an error saying the file is not an image. The camera (canon) saves images in JPG format.

Upon doing some research i found out that the camera 'encodes' the JPG by way of EXIF to add image data to the JPG, but its still a JPG.

At first i thought it was the script but since it works in IE, i was told that it cant be... I have a discussion going on about it in another forum provided by the company I purchased this upload script from. You can see it at http://www.webassist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4783. I'm staring to think its a browser issue and wonder how to 'accomadate' for such...

I really value everyone's input on this forum and my self being somewhat new to web design am asking for any and all suggestions/comments/experiences/ideas on how to handle this so that uploads can be done from external sources in all browsers. Thank You.

deafboyzaudio
10-07-2009, 01:45 AM
really? does no one have any ideas? no experience with this issue? anything?

DWcourse
10-07-2009, 03:36 AM
What is the extension of the file when viewed from the camera (.jpg, .JPG, .jpeg or something else)?

What it the extension after the file has been uploaded and is on the server?

Finally is all this (including the attempts using Safari and Firefox) on Windows only?

deafboyzaudio
10-08-2009, 03:10 AM
What is the extension of the file when viewed from the camera (.jpg, .JPG, .jpeg or something else)?the specs say on the canon website says "exif 2.2 (JPEG)"
What it the extension after the file has been uploaded and is on the server?the extension is .jpg, the type is listed as JPEG. From safari of FF the only way i can get a upload from camera is with the 'web images only option' off.(basically this allows extensions to upload besides .jpg .jpeg .gif .png) but then the image is classified as a "file" with no image extension.
Finally is all this (including the attempts using Safari and Firefox) on Windows only?I can't test it on any machine besides windows... if someone wants to that would be cool. go to www.deafboyzaudio.com/upload.php (http://www.deafboyzaudio.com/upload.php) and use any of the top 4 upload fields for an image, see if you can get one to upload for safari or FF directly from a camera.

quick question DW course.. i thought .jpg and .jpeg are the same composition wise just named differently, am i wrong?

deafboyzaudio
10-15-2009, 07:03 PM
No one is really replying to this thread despite the fact that its a very intriging issue (in my mind) so i guess that means its out of the realm of anyones experience.

If thats true I am extremely suprised as uploading from a camera in FF and Safari is very common... do people just not care??

Well anyways, here's an update although no one will probally reply.....

This issue has been passed on to the engineers at webassist.com for further investigation... i'd really like to get a second opinion on it... the thread can be seen at this link http://www.webassist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4783 (http://links.dreamweaverclub.com/?id=631X1200&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.webassist.com%2Fforums%2Fshow thread.php%3Ft%3D4783) . thank you

Corrosive
10-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Must admit this is beyond my understanding so I won't even try! I am curious with how you are getting on with webassist. I have been looking at some of their stuff as an investment. How is it?

domedia
10-15-2009, 07:22 PM
If thats true I am extremely suprised as uploading from a camera in FF and Safari is very common...
I seriously doubt it.
do people just not care??
It's not really a Dreamweaver issue, that's my guess ;-)

d a v e
10-15-2009, 09:02 PM
just because we don't know the answer doesn't mean we don't care.

have you tried the adobe forums?

deafboyzaudio
10-17-2009, 04:02 AM
Must admit this is beyond my understanding so I won't even try! I am curious with how you are getting on with webassist. I have been looking at some of their stuff as an investment. How is it?

I like it... I think the issues i had at first was just inexperience. they provide a free forum for support and a 30 day money back guarantee. digital file pro does resizing and tumbnail creation, quality settings downloads renames and a cool lil customizable progress bar. definately saves some custom scripting if thats not your bag... just depends on easy you want it for how much

deafboyzaudio
10-17-2009, 04:08 AM
It's not really a Dreamweaver issue, that's my guess ;-)
its just like a lot of other things on here... constructed in DW and involves issues on how browsers interperet that same code.
THats exactly what this is.... differnet browser translating the same code with different results, in this case results that make a big difference. I thought for sure someone would have run into this... I will go onto the adobe forums and then on from there... this was my first stop

If anyone hears about a way to work with FF of safari to interperet exif packaged JPEG's as what they really are-JPEG's LET ME KNOW!!! Web assist engineers have deemed this a browser issue, not a script issue... there HAS to be a way to overcome this.. Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this... get at me with any solutions deafboyz_audio@hotmail.com

domedia
10-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Good luck with this. Did you try changing some of the settings in the camera to see if it made JPG's made any different?
It looks like this is an issue with the JPG format. Hopefully you'll get some more insight in the adobe forums, but it would not be because of any adobe related knowledge.

Corrosive
10-18-2009, 01:33 PM
I like it... I think the issues i had at first was just inexperience. they provide a free forum for support and a 30 day money back guarantee. digital file pro does resizing and tumbnail creation, quality settings downloads renames and a cool lil customizable progress bar. definately saves some custom scripting if thats not your bag... just depends on easy you want it for how much

Nice one, thanks mate. Always good to get some opinions before splashing the cash.