PDA

View Full Version : search engine optimisation

Yinny
10-03-2009, 08:45 AM
SEO really is a 'black art'. Shouldn'we help each other here. I have had help here and suggest you try downloading Internet Business Promoter for starters. All tips welcome - let's help each other.

DWcourse
10-03-2009, 01:26 PM
SEO is not a "black art" it's a legitimate businesscpractice. The black art is pretending that a product can guarantee a top 10 listing from popular keywords, like "real estate." If you have something to share, why not share it rather than just promoting a product?

edbr
10-04-2009, 01:55 AM
absolutey not black art. as pointed out if there were 5000000 sites selling real estatee and all want the keyword real estate , how you as a new comer with just the skills to download a program will put you at #1 in google.

Yinny
10-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Obviously, people don't want to help - I think people want to keep it to themselves. I just wanted to start something that would help others. Maybe people just are not helpful. Please keep negative comments to yourselves.

Corrosive
10-04-2009, 09:01 AM
What the guys are saying is true. SEO is just really hard work, not a 'black art'. There are a number of things you can do to help yourself.

1. Good, clean mark-up; make sure your website makes sense to a Search Engine bot/spider. Use the correct HTML for the information on your site. If you have a sentence explaining what your page is about then use the h1 tag. This tells a Search Engine what your page is about and so it can deliver your website to searchers who want to see your goods or services.

2. Back links; make sure your website is 'well connected'. Use listings websites, forums and sites such as Digg to get links back to your website. Where you can, try and ensure that these links make sense. You'll notice in my sig that I have 'Bristol Web and Graphic Design' as the link to my company site rather than the company name.

3. Use free analytics tools such as Google Analytics to find out how your website is performing and make sure you understand what the statistics mean and how you can improve your website with the info provided. Google also provide a 'Website Optimiser' tool which can help you to try different content for your pages to see which perform the best.

4. Content, content, content. Make sure your content is well written and relevant to your subject matter. Don't 'keyword stuff' a page but craft your text to emphasise the keywords you hope that the Search Engine will pick up on. Write for humans and the Search Engines will appreciate this. Also make sure your content is kept 'fresh' and dynamic. Try adding articles or new product information as often as you can and the bot/spider will keep coming back to your pages.

5. The age of a website also helps and you will find yourself naturally rising up the rankings based on the age of your site. Longevity seems to mean a good quality website in the eyes of Search Engines.

The truth is that the Search Engine algorithms are a closely guarded secret and they will know if you are trying to 'trick' your way to number one. It is very easy to get black-listed by Google...take it from someone who knows.

I hope this helps a bit but the lesson is that there are no shortcuts, black magic methods or free tickets to number one. Just learn your craft as well as you can and be prepared for a lot of hard work.

d a v e
10-04-2009, 11:48 AM
"Maybe people just are not helpful. Please keep negative comments to yourselves."

that's a bit paradoxical, nay hypocritical, isn't it?

domedia
10-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Obviously, people don't want to help - I think people want to keep it to themselves. I just wanted to start something that would help others. Maybe people just are not helpful. Please keep negative comments to yourselves.
I beg your pardon?

The people that just was nice enough to answer your post have volunteered hundreds of hours to help people out, and that is only through this forum.

Just because you don't want to hear that SEO is not a black art, does not mean that the truth is 'negative'. Why don't you try to listen to the knowledge shared instead?

riyasin123
09-18-2014, 10:12 AM
SEO not black art. Create good quality backlinks. Build the link on which website has good alexa rank and page rank with good and high quality content.

Tomcat104
10-13-2014, 07:45 PM
absolutey not black art. as pointed out if there were 5000000 sites selling real estatee and all want the keyword real estate , how you as a new comer with just the skills to download a program will put you at #1 in google.

I still consider myself a "newbie" even though I've worked in Dreamweaver for nearly 8 years. I had a stroke and the stroke affected my memory so I have to learn the same things over and over.

I learned SEO 3 or 4 times so I knows it's not that hard. As a matter of fact I have to "learn" it again soon as I'm about to finish an Accounting website and it needs optimizing for sure. Think I'll get started again right now!

I have read your "tag line" many times and I swore it said "If you're happy share your meds" and I always thought NO WAY as my meds contain a "Happy Pill" that I refuse to share!