PDA

View Full Version : testing server and preview

whitedragon101
10-01-2009, 12:23 AM
I have found on many occasions that when I try to preview a file locally in firefox it simply refuses to use the newest version even after deleting all of the firefox cache and saved data. So foolishly I thought I'd force it to by going into my testing server folder:

C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\mytestarea

and then deleting all the web pages in there. Thinking it would force dreamweaver to restore a new copy of the file. However, it now simply says "link broken" (in chrome) or "page not found" (in firefox).

I have set up a new empty folder with the following settings:

C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\new_mytestarea

My settings are:

Local Info
Site Name: mysite
local root folder: c:\mysite\
Links relative to: Document
Http address: http://localhost/new_mytestarea/
Use case sensetive links: ticked
enable cache: ticked

Remote Info
Access: FTP
FTP Host: ftp.mysite.myhost.net
Host Directory: www/
Login: myusername
Password: mypassword
Use Passive FTP: ticked
Maintain Syncronisation Information: ticked

Testing server
server model: PHP MySQL
Access: Local/Network
Testing server Folder : C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\new_mytestarea
URL Prefix: http://localhost/new_mytestarea/

I can open a page directly but if I try to click a link to any other page it says link broken.

Any ideas?

whitedragon101
10-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Clearing out the old folder and using the above settings now means when I preview a page it is the current version. So that bit has worked.

However I think I may be expecting to much of dreamweaver:

It seems if I open the page as a preview before clicking a link to that page it will then appear. Is this just what you have to do? That in order to preview your site locally with the latest versions of your files you have to open every page individually. Only then can you navigate using the links knowing all files will be the latest versions?

DWcourse
10-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Not sure I understand your questions but when you preview in DW, you see the current state of the page your are working on. If you click on a link in the previewed page, you'll get the last saved version of that page (not a preview).

whitedragon101
10-01-2009, 01:51 AM
Not sure I understand your questions but when you preview in DW, you see the current state of the page your are working on. If you click on a link in the previewed page, you'll get the last saved version of that page (not a preview).

That's what I thought should happen, but when I click a link in a previewed page I get the broken link message. The only way to navigate to the page being linked to is to open it in preview then close it, now when I return to the original page the link works.