PDA

View Full Version : book on CSS?

dreamweaver beginner
09-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Hello,

Is there a book or online text tutorial on CSS that someone could recommend?

I know how html works, where you nest things inside of themselves like this:
<html>
<head>placeholdertext</head>
<body>add text etc. here</body>
</html>

I would like a book that clearly explains where you place the css code in relation to the html code in a notepad file. also, how you setup external css sheets, and the proper way to load all of this stuff onto a web server.

I've seen CSS the missing manual on amazon, which seems popular. But it's 500 pages! It wastes time giving you a history of internet programming, and wastes more time "selling" you on the benifits of CSS. If you already bought the book, you're already sold on the importance of CSS, and you know that coding has evolved since 1994. It looks like it also takes until page 300 before giving a formal presentation on div tags. To me thats a liability. It shouldn't take more than 200 pages to show someone how to structure a page, explain the fundamental code fragments and calling sequences, and how to properly organize the files for server transmittal.

So hopefully there is something more efficient out there. I get the feeling if I had the right 20 pages in my hands (25% explanation, 75% dense code written out), I could do most everything I need to do.

domedia
09-30-2009, 07:42 PM
I'd still recommend the missing manual. Alot of other books are going to be somewhat specialized or not for beginners, and you're looking to learn from scratch anyways. Learning the background and the good practices and the underlying concepts of the language is very important. Honestly I think your opinion of the book is a 'liability' ;)

Anyone else have some good beginner books on CSS?
The CSS Bible has a page in our shop as well:
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/books/shop.php?c=books&n=5&i=0596802447&x=CSS_The_Missing_Manual

The shortcut is for you to study three selectors in CSS.
1. Type selector where the CSS selector equals the HTML tag
body {color: red;}
2. ID selectors for unique page elements:
#nav {color: blue;}
3. Class selectors for groups of elements
.items {color: green;}

dsnyder
09-30-2009, 09:05 PM
i've learned all my CSS knowledge from several books and on this great forum. CSS, The Missing Manual by David Sawyer McFarland is very good. CSS is a very simple language to learn and very helpful....it's worth the time!