PDA

View Full Version : What languages should i try & learn

kearnsy
09-30-2009, 03:30 PM
I think i've caught the web design bug, but being a complete novice i'm often confused by all the different languages that you can use to build a website

the ones i've read up on that sound as if they'd be of use to me are: html, xml, actionscript, javascript & php mysql

php & mysql is probably the next one i'd like to learn about as i'd like to learn how to build a site like this one with a forum included, just for kicks really so i know if i ever need it in the future, i'd have some understanding of it

My question is, being a newbie, should i jump head first into learning the others or should i try and master one before moving on, or could i get by with knowing just enough of all of them?

domedia
09-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Kinda depends on what you want to do.. But if I understand right you want t be able to write some forum software?
In that case I suggest HTML->CSS->PHP&MySql->JavaScript

You don't need to be master in all before moving to the next one, but you need to grasp how to use the language.

thedon
10-02-2009, 05:12 AM
I have only been doing it for a few months. I think learning HTML and CSS first is the best way to go. Then when you understand how a website works better, then learn the rest. PHP will be next for me, looks pretty hard

edbr
10-02-2009, 05:23 AM
I have only been doing it for a few months. I think learning HTML and CSS first is the best way to go. Then when you understand how a website works better, then learn the rest. PHP will be next for me, looks pretty hard
agreed basics first, php and/ or javascript to follow and many would add flash then.

Corrosive
10-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Learn French...it is the language of luuuurve. ;)

domedia
10-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Learn French...it is the language of luuuurve. ;)You mean the language of Louvre? :mrgreen:

Corrosive
10-02-2009, 05:34 PM
You mean the language of Louvre? :mrgreen:

Ha ha ha, very quick Dom :lol:

kearnsy
10-02-2009, 08:12 PM
ha ha good one

What i'd like to do eventualy is learn how to build an online shop, with a shopping cart, and maybe something that would allow the customer to upload a photo

what language would i need to learn if i wanted to achieve this?

cheers guys

Corrosive
10-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Quick answer. HTML/CSS, PHP (probably best to learn OOP - Object Orientated Programming and make sure you are really good at the security side of things. Remember that you are responsible for any customer data you hold.) Javascript is an 'optional extra'. Nice to have but you can probably get most of what you need from learning a framework such as JQuery.

If you build a good online store then let me know as I'd like to take a look. I wouldn't attempt to build one!