PDA

View Full Version : templates created in cs3 are messed up in cs4

lojoni
09-30-2009, 02:16 PM
I don't know how to begin troubleshooting this.

I have a site, XHTML 1.0 strict, primarily CSS layout, put into templates in CS3.

Some of our webmasters have upgraded to CS4.

Some, not all, of those who have upgraded to CS4 are having major trouble with the templates, including the person who created the templates in the first place. The left navigation is entirely obscured in the template seen in CS4 [again for some not for all]. The left nav part of the template is unusable for these folks.

I created the site and coded the CSS, but used someone else to do the templates. She is a web designer who I respect very much, but she does not trust CSS layout and thinks table layout would be more stable. Her observation is other sites she has designed using tables and then placed into templates look better in CS4, not worse.

I very much hope she's wrong on this. What else can I look into? This is very serious for my redesign project. I've attached a screenshot in case that helps.

Thanks, Lois

http://test.dhhs.state.nc.us/images/junk.png

Corrosive
09-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Hi Louis and welcome to the forum.

She is a web designer who I respect very much, but she does not trust CSS layout and thinks table layout would be more stable. Her observation is other sites she has designed using tables and then placed into templates look better in CS4, not worse.

For a start, this is absolute rubbish and there are many more reasons to use CSS than table based layouts including SEO, web standards, site-wide updates and so on. So you are on safe ground there! This sounds like the opinion of someone who learnt to design sites a few years ago, knows what she likes and understands and refuses to move with the times...but that is my opinion only.

Long and short is that it doesn't matter one bit what a design looks like in CS4 Design View, you are aiming to get it looking right when viewed in a browser.

I'm not sure of a specific reason for a change in design view for CS4 and it does seem a bit odd that it should be that much different but some of my designs look awful in Design View (and I mean un-recognisable as a web page) and yet great cross-browser. This is why I gave up on Design View and learnt how to code by hand.

Maybe someone will be along with a technical reason for your problems but I can assure you that your approach is not the problem. CSS is the correct way to go.

Maybe if you want to move away from templates then give PHP 'includes' a try.

DWcourse
09-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Some, not all, of those who have upgraded to CS4 are having major trouble with the templates, including the person who created the templates in the first place. The left navigation is entirely obscured in the template seen in CS4 [again for some not for all]. The left nav part of the template is unusable for these folks.

I haven't run into this but I can guarantee reverting to tables will give you plenty of trouble down the road.

What I find interesting is that some people have an issue and others don't. Which leads me to believe it may be preference settings. One that might cause a problem is "invisible elements", particularly judging from your screen shot "hidden form fields." Try setting preferences to hide those and see if that helps.

domedia
09-30-2009, 04:14 PM
I think it was with CS4 that DW started using the Webkit rendering Engine, the same Google Chrome and Safari uses.

Your friend the web-duh-signer .. There's no reason any longer to have pity with people that do not embrace web standards. 8)

lojoni
09-30-2009, 06:17 PM
aligning the preferences > invisible elements did the trick. Thank you SO MUCH!

DWcourse
09-30-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm glad it worked.