PDA

View Full Version : how do you insert 3 div areas all next to each other?

dreamweaver beginner
09-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Hello,

I'm reading the Adobe book, and all it's doing is confusing me.

I would like to complete (what should be) a simple task:

Insert three div containers, all next to each other. I have some text that needs to be in three columns, placed below the main text div box. I don't want to use tables. I want to use div containers.

I don't understand all of this #number sign stuff, class, and ID.

When I try to go to Insert>>Layout Object>>Div tags, it keeps trying to steer me toward AP divs. I want regular divs.

Basically I need to know how to command the page to produce div boxes, all horizontally next to each other, and dictate their size and location.

Could someone please post a 1) 2) 3) on how to do this?

thank you.

(and please no "code" snippets. only Dreamweaver commands. i am not ready for {this .stuff}).

domedia
09-29-2009, 08:52 PM
I don't understand all of this #number sign stuff, class, and ID. It's CSS, which is the language you use for all layout/design stuff for your website. Does your book cover this subject?

dreamweaver beginner
09-29-2009, 09:13 PM
they talk about it in a roundabout way, but not enough to directly understand what its all about.

but here i'm looking for one specific task:
without resorting to code, how do you create three div text containers, all horizontally next to each other, so they are 1/3 width of the page each, and then you can go in and adjust the width of each afterward?

i've managed to create one. but I can't create one next to it. i tried copying and pasting the first one, but it pastes it underneath the first box instead of next to it.

it seems like such an important task, that i'm finding it hard to believe they make you work so hard to do this.

coloeagle
09-29-2009, 09:32 PM
(and please no "code" snippets. only Dreamweaver commands. i am not ready for {this .stuff}).
I apologize first if this sounds rude.
If your not ready for the css stuff then your not ready to start designing websites.

Dreamweaver is a tool, as is any editor. None of them will do everything properly or 100% to our desires. Thus the need to know css and html.

To answer your initial question, to get three div's side by side you will need to float them.

domedia
09-29-2009, 09:35 PM
You need to understand the underlying concept of web pages.
Try to find some good tutorials on HTML/CSS and web standards. DW is just an expensive toy if you don't know the basics of the web languages. Just imho.

In human talk you would set up a couple of DIV's, give them all a width and float them next to eachother.

EDIT: Colo beat me to it; What he said.

dreamweaver beginner
09-30-2009, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the insights. I thought Dreamweaver was to take care of the coding so non-technical people can design sites. Other than difficult stuff like real-time inventory updates, I thought it would work mostly like a webpage word processor. I guess that was an incorrect assumption.

If you still have to know the code, then maybe all it's doing is saving some typing?

If you know CSS "that well", you could simply save a bunch of code fragements on a word procesing document somewhere, and then cut and paste them into a notepad page or something to assemble the page.

Basically, if knowing CSS at the code level is essential, then Dreamweaver is nonessential. Unless I'm missing even more of the idea.

coloeagle
09-30-2009, 03:48 AM
Without going into individual details, you are correct with all statements. :mrgreen:

DW is a great editor for starters into the intermediate designs. As Dom mentioned you need to understand the basics / underlying code of a webpage.

I will say "ditto" to Doms' suggestion about finding some html/css tutorials and get an understanding of the basics. To add to this get yourself a free template (keep it simple, don't go too fancy) study the code, play around with it. It really won't take long to begin to understand how css works with standards code.

I would be willing to bet you could start to get this understanding in just a single evening. 8)

Corrosive
09-30-2009, 07:59 AM
Think of Dreamweaver as a labour-saving device and you're not far off. As the guys have said, you can't use Dreamweaver properly without understanding code and what goes in to making a website. The two disciplines go hand in hand or not at all.

If you bought a set of tools, would you expect to be able to strip and build a car engine? ;)

DWcourse
09-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Look at one of Dreamweaver 3-column-fixed layouts. They use:

Sidebar1 float:left
Sidebar2 float:right
Sidebar3 left and right margins wide enough to hold the floated sidebars
<br> with clear:both