PDA

View Full Version : Meta Tags Help

urbanrays
09-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Hi
Just been looking around at the competition to see what meta data they are using in there site for obvious reasons.
Now I came across this

<meta name="verify-v1" content="PN5p/OiEt8DPS6Zf+qCdPSyWZFkKPwjUFLFFLRrkHz0=">

<link rel="meta" href="http://paintingsandprints2.co.uk/labels.rdf" type="application/rdf+xml" title="ICRA labels">

What is this all about. How does this content tag work with a search engine

Thanks for any advice

domedia
09-27-2009, 05:46 PM
They're not related to search engines at all, just for internal use.
The first one is probably for a third party to verify that the user has control over this website. The second one is probably a statement for a third party website explaining the content of this website.

None of them have any bearings on search engines.

Actually in general, search engines do not look at any kind of meta tags in order to decide the placement of your website in the search result pages.

edbr
09-28-2009, 01:50 AM
the first one looks like the 'verify' tag that google uses when you register a site map with them

coloeagle
09-28-2009, 07:33 AM
The second tag is for the Family Online Safety Institute (http://www.fosi.org/cms/), in simple it is used to verify a sites content for a visitor that might be concerned about this issue.

If your interested in seeing what it does visit my home security site (in my sig) in the footer section is a link "ICRA Labeled" click on it and review the resulting page.

thedon
09-28-2009, 10:58 AM
I can't even get a rank 1 at google. I think I have good content (maybe I am delusional) my meta tage keywords relate to my page.

Man it seems impossible to even get to 1

domedia
09-28-2009, 02:22 PM
I can't even get a rank 1 at google. I think I have good content (maybe I am delusional) my meta tage keywords relate to my page.

Man it seems impossible to even get to 1
See my comment above about meta tags and SEO. There is not magic shortcut to the SERPs, and Search Engines don't care about meta tags for rankings.

urbanrays
09-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks chaps,

I have just read a couple more posts on meta tags and I fully understand the search engines ways of content, accessible, strong links to relevance, and rich with keywords, which is understandable to the reader.

Its the keywords that I always seem to struggle with, I am ok at placing them in the text and headers etc, the question is

How many of the same keywords should you use....

For example if I was selling perfume, how many times on the index page should I try and get "perfume" "fragrances" in, without the search engine thinking I am taking the p!ss, and going overboard.

Or again is this another suck it and see scenarios
Thanks peeps

kearnsy
09-29-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm no expert on the subject, but i've read that seo is like a 'black art'

domedia
09-29-2009, 08:25 PM
You might be thinking of the term 'black hat'. It's used for techniques where you try to trick the search engines to give your site a better placement in the SERP's than it would normally get.

edbr
09-30-2009, 01:50 AM
avoid black hat stuff or the browser that must not be named may get you. (imo)
there are warnings re keyword stuffing, not sure though if how or when this is penalised. keyword position as in title , links, h1 h2 tags, bold, italic (it is claimed) is all a part of it.
heres a site that will give you an online appraisal and suggestions , its not completely correct or law ,so to speak but it might give you a start.

http://www.xinureturns.com/