DWcourse
09-25-2009, 10:12 PM
<a href= "link.html" target="_blank">link</a>

gigiloumill
09-26-2009, 02:40 AM
thank you......

Corrosive
09-26-2009, 07:25 AM
You should really try and use the 'standards' approach as the 'target' attribute of the 'a' tag is no longer recommended. Try this...

http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/standards-compliant-world

DWcourse
09-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Well, I'm a big supporter of standards but this is one of those cases where the solution is worse than the problem and I'm willing to risk that the target attribute will be supported by browsers, if not standards, for a long time.

domedia
09-26-2009, 04:26 PM
The problem with the target attribute _blank is more on the usability side.
It's extremely frustrating to CTRL+Click on a tab that has this attribute.
Or when a link open up in a new window when you did not tell it to. Put the user in control and everyone is happy (Except for the client that insists to open links in new windows).

If the client insist, I prefer to display a little icon indicating that a new browser page/tab will be generated, and then use JS to to it instead of the target attribute.

DWcourse
09-26-2009, 09:55 PM
The problem with the target attribute _blank is more on the usability side.
It's extremely frustrating to CTRL+Click on a tab that has this attribute.

Is that an Explorer issue? I don't have a problem with it in Safari or Firefox (in fact in FF I can set the preferences so the new page opens in a tab by default).

DWcourse
09-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Oh, are you saying that you can't control-click to force the link to open in the same window?

domedia
09-27-2009, 04:36 PM
It will bring that tab up instead of opening it in the background. Not sure which browser it is..

edbr
09-28-2009, 12:46 AM
for my 2 cents i personally dont think opening a new tab/page upsets many at all , i think it is just something that is accepted if used. like this forum links do in fact
i would also ,like DW I would be surprised if this is not around for a long time.
re the OP I wasnt clear what you wanted i thought because of the description you gave, you were asking about pop ups :)