PDA

View Full Version : Template not updating child pages

MadeCurler
09-16-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm new and going nuts with Templates! I've spent hours on line reading and followed your tutorial on making and using templates and understand the need for editable regions. When I create a page from this template and save it as (say) index.html, then change the underlying template content, after the "Update Files" window, nothing in the index.html has changed! Here is the code for the template

<body>
<div id="container">
<div id="top"><!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="header" --> Header<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
<h1>&nbsp;</h1>
</div>
<div id="leftnav"><!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="left_nav" -->left_nav<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
<p>&nbsp;</p>
</div>
<div id="content"><!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="main_content" -->main_content <!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
<h2>&nbsp;</h2>
</div>
<div id="footer"><!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="footer" -->E Mail address <!-- TemplateEndEditable --></div>
</div>
</body>

Can anyone help

MadeCurler
09-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Solved....senior moment

DWcourse
09-16-2009, 07:13 PM
1. Did you actually create a template file? (If so it should be in the Templates forlder and end with the extension .dwt)
2. Are you creating the new page by using menu: File>New and then choosing Page from Template? (You can't open a template and use save as to create a new page.)
3. Did you configure your site correctly?
4. Are the changes you're making to the template in an editable region (which doesn't get passed to child pages) or in a "locked" region (which should be updated on the child pages)?

DWcourse
09-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Solved....senior moment

Never mindů

MadeCurler
09-16-2009, 08:13 PM
1. Did you actually create a template file? (If so it should be in the Templates forlder and end with the extension .dwt)
2. Are you creating the new page by using menu: File>New and then choosing Page from Template? (You can't open a template and use save as to create a new page.)
3. Did you configure your site correctly?
4. Are the changes you're making to the template in an editable region (which doesn't get passed to child pages) or in a "locked" region (which should be updated on the child pages)?

Thank you very much but the penny has dropped. I eventually figured that for global chages, you edit the .dwt file "outside" the editable regions a then update accordingly. Site now works fine and I feel dead chuffed.

Corrosive
09-17-2009, 06:12 AM
Yes, editable regions are for page specific content. Non-editable will update site-wide :)

deafboyzaudio
09-22-2009, 04:23 AM
i actually had a similar question... i have a template and make new pages from it in the way dw course was describing... only this time my changes were not updating. the region is a "locked" region and the child pages call for that template, but no updating site wide... all the obvious reasons have been checked as discussed in this thread, what else could cause this?