PDA

View Full Version : Need Find & Replace Help

thomhee
09-01-2009, 06:18 PM
I've been using Dreamweaver for quite sometime. My favorite feature is the find and replace. I just recently started using CS4 and I'm having some issues.

I have been copying some code and then I click on find and replace and I paste the code into the "find" box inside the find and replace window. I have selected find in "Entire current local site". I then hit "find all".

Down below in the search box that opens and lists all the files where the code was found.

My problem begins after that. The original find and replace box closes once the files that are found. In the old dreamweaver, I would just click on the little arrow down below on the search box and the find and replace would open with the code in the find box. Now I hit the arrow and the find and replace open up, but there is no code in the find box.

What I am saying is, I know how to find the files that need to be changed, I just can't seem to figure out how to change them.

Any ideas?

DWcourse
09-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Click on find and replace again and the dialog opens up with your last settings in place.

Instead of choosing find all, you can choose find next. That will go through your site and open up the files which contain the search phrase and highlight it.

You can also type in the replacement text and use replace all but I'd back up before you do that.

Corrosive
09-02-2009, 06:06 AM
My favorite feature is the find and replace.

With the whole shooting match that DW offers...This seems like a very strange statement indeed. Do you mind if I ask why?

Are you finding that you need to update your site regularly and this is how you are doing it? If so, you need to look at these;

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/dreamweaver-templates.php
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/php-includes.php

If that's not what you are doing and you really just think that F&R is the mutts nuts then forgive my question. :wink:

thomhee
09-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Yeah, I update regularly. I use find and replace when doing so. It's mainly just for my header.

I have used the templates before, but I had an issue when I changed the location of the folder my site was contained in on my local computer. Once I moved the folder, the template didn't update correctly when I made changes, so I ended up detaching it from the template.

Now, I don't want to start the template again because I get nervous making any changes that might effect my SEO rankings.

domedia
09-02-2009, 07:19 AM
The choice of changing your site through a template or through search & replace is not going to have any implications on your placement in the Search Engine result pages (SERPs)

thomhee
09-02-2009, 07:45 AM
That much I figured, I just didn't know if the search engines saw the templates any differently.

I'm fine with using search and replace, only takes me a minute, or I should say it use to only take me a minute. Now I'm having problems in CS4.