PDA

View Full Version : Forms on the Homestead ISP

Dave56
08-31-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi All,

Does anybody know of a way to make forms work on the Homestead ISP? I just emailed them asking about it, and they said "no."

Just curious,
Dave

edbr
09-01-2009, 01:36 AM
move hoster

Dave56
09-01-2009, 01:52 AM
Yes, of course. But I'm building a site for a guy and that's who he initially started with. He'll be moving to GoDaddy at my recommendation when his subscription expires.

Corrosive
09-01-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure there are any solutions to this other than what Ed suggested. If homestead said 'no' then that's an end to it.

DWcourse
09-01-2009, 02:48 PM
There are services that host form processing scripts for you but the problems and security issues aren't worth it. If you have your own site you could host the form-processing script there and give the other domain access but again the potential problems out weigh the benefits.

Fact is the client made a bad decision going with Homestead and he just needs to eat the expense. Surely the extra $10-20/month at GoDaddy isn't going to kill him over the next few months until the Homestead contract runs out anyway.

Corrosive
09-01-2009, 03:20 PM
I thought that GoDaddy had restrictions on PHP mail() function as well. Don't they insist that you use their cgi version? I may be wrong but do check it before you buy!

Dave56
09-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks, guys. The interesting thing is that Homestead allows forms if you use their sitebuilder application, but I told them I wanted to use Dreamweaver CS4 and a PHP script and they said "no." I just wondered if you knew of a way around it. But it's no big deal. I just put an email link on the site so potential customers can email as well as phone.

BTW, GoDaddy will put automatically put gdform.php and webformmailer.php in your root directory for you and send you instructions on how to make them work.