PDA

View Full Version : Locked out from editing a page

mvnfwd
08-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Hi Folks,

I only have very basic html knowledge and no css knowledge. But I am guessing what I am doing should be a no brainer but it's not.
If you can help me with 1 and 2, I will be forever grateful.

1. I am trying to edit this one page after my mishap I am now locked out (it has the circle with the slash across it in the body of the page I want to edit) thiis has never happened b4.

2. I was originally trying to add a new staff member to the list so I just copied and pasted from a previous staff member and that is when the mishap occurred. After the copy and paste a scroll bar appeared at the bottom of the name I have no idea where that came from and now my table is misaligned. I am reading the code from the table above and below that IS aligned and cannot see what has misaligned the table.

3. This site has a zillion files and is set up to ftp vis dreamweaver but I get getting error messages saying access denied when I try to upload any file. My changes are also not taking when I upload. I save the changes, upload, and the changes do not take. Sometimes if I close DW, open it again, ,make the changes and then upload everything is fine even with the error message but very very time consuming doing this over and over. I am guessing that maybe the flies on the local drive are not where they are suppose to be.

The computer and Dreamweaver were recently upgraded before my time. I was told before the upgrade that in DW everything was fine, you could see the page "as is" online and you could see all images ....but now I can only see the pages all discombumbled and out of alignment in DW and I cannot see any images so it is difficult to prevew before uploading in DW, but the pages are fine online.

I usually use firefox ftp, fetch, or win ftp in the past and NEVER had these problems. If you cannot help can you direct me to a discussion board/forum/ or maybe the correct search words to use because I am been reading several answers but I still have not had any progress in this mess.

thank you in advance
oops this is the page
http://www.sinclair.hawaii.edu/about/staff.html

DWcourse
08-28-2009, 09:54 PM
looks to me like you've got and extra closing div (</div>) after Dave Bowman (after the </b> behind his name).

div id="tbl_row">
<b>Dave Bowman</b></div>
<P style="text-align: left">Counter and Student Supervisor<BR />
<a href="mailto:dgbowman@hawaii.edu (dgbowman@hawaii.edu)">dgbowman@hawaii.edu</a><BR />
<b>956-8308 ext. 52</b></P>
</div>

mvnfwd
08-28-2009, 10:03 PM
OMG! you rock....how did I miss that? I am not at work but I have the file at home and it is saying "locked by translator" do you have any idea why that happened or how to unlock it?
Thanks again, really appreciate it the prompt response.

DWcourse
08-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Somehow DW is interpreting the content you're trying to change as locked.

Fixing that in the code MIGHT take care of it.

If not let us know.

mvnfwd
10-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Hello,
I am having the same problem where I am locked out from editing another page on the same site.
Can you please look at this page/the code and tell me if once again you can see what I am missing and why I am not able to edit it?

http://www.sinclair.hawaii.edu/main.html

Thank you so much.

DWcourse
10-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Don't kno wif this is the issue but you have two editable regions (one inside the other) with the name body that may be conflicting. I'd delete this one:

<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="body" -->
<h4>&nbsp;</h4>
<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

mvnfwd
10-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Yes I have tried to edit that exact same thing like a million times. I cannot delete it to save my life.
I have compared pages and pages of code from other pages and that is all I found wrong.
Any idea why I am not able to delete it?

DWcourse
10-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Open it in a text editor and delete it.

mvnfwd
10-22-2009, 12:27 AM
If you ever make it to Hawaii I owe you lunch, thank you so much!!!!!!!!

DWcourse
10-22-2009, 12:32 AM
I don't see Hawaii on the schedule in the near future so I guess my reward will have to be in heaven (of course I probably won't get there to pick it up either).