PDA

View Full Version : need advice on learning php please , php is my dream goal

silverglade
08-27-2009, 08:16 PM
hi, my dream in life is to be a great php programmer, and at this point it seems impossible now, so im pretty depressed. the only code i fully understood was this guestbook which was very simple code, but when i went to put the "captcha" code to my guestbook i had no clue. im always running into code that is way over my head when i try to do a project in php. i went through the w3schools.com tutorials and php.net functions and dont know any sql commands, but the captcha code is so advanced. i was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to understand the more complex code when it goes over my head, because at this point , i stopped studying and just sat around all day depressed because i cant figure out the code. please, if anyone can give me some advice on exactly how to proceed and what i should do exactly in steps i would FOREVER be grateful, because at this point im at the end of my rope. thank you in advance. sorry for posting similar subjects but i dont think i was as clear in my last posts about this. thank you. derek

coloeagle
08-27-2009, 11:00 PM
You may want to contact our very own davidj (http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/member.php?find=lastposter&t=31930)
He gives php lessons (http://codezenith.co.uk/) one to one.

edbr
08-28-2009, 02:13 AM
yes hes the man ,you could also check tizag.com. its pretty clear and good as a reference when you are on your way

domedia
08-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Silverglade, cheer up! :) Almost anyone can become a PHP Ninja, you just have to find a better approach to learn. I would recommend a book or private tutoring.

I made my first updateable data-driven website after reading this book.
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/books/shop.php?c=books&n=5&i=0980576814&x=Build_Your_Own_Database_Driven_Web_Site_Using_PH P_MySQL
If you get this book, make sure you get the fourth edition like in the link above.
For private tutoring I would also recommend DJ, http://codezenith.co.uk/

silverglade
08-28-2009, 04:02 PM
thank you all very much. i will get that book , and i just signed up to get lessons from davidj. i watched some of his video tutorials already. hes cool.

also, my main problem isnt learning the syntax , i learn that from w3schools.com. my main problem is that past learning the syntax. i try to do a project, and they start out way over my head, even just making more than the basic guestbook, im lost, i cant add to it, or embellish it, i wouldnt know where to start.

the implementation of the language into projects are my problem. and every time i ask, someone says "do this project" or that project, and when i try it, it is too complicated. and i dont understand that specific implementation of the language. i also havent studied sql yet on w3schools. i followed david's video tutorial on installing WAMP, and EMS SQL manager , but i dont see a point of installing a database on my own computer when i dont want my computer to be the server, and my host startlogic.com doesnt let me use EMS SQL Manager to connect to the server, they make me use their MYSQL admin to make databases, is that a problem?
DOMEDIA I WANT TO BECOME A PHP NIIINNNJAAAA!!!! WOOOT!

silverglade
08-28-2009, 05:14 PM
also i have a new question. could the "facebook" website be written in PHP alone without any other language? just php? i dont want to have to learn javascript. i do know that facebook was written in php. just not sure if anything else.

domedia
08-28-2009, 05:46 PM
also, my main problem isnt learning the syntax , i learn that from w3schools.com. my main problem is that past learning the syntax. i try to do a project, and they start out way over my head, even just making more than the basic guestbook, im lost, i cant add to it, or embellish it, i wouldnt know where to start.
That's completely normal. Knowing the syntax is a way too basic knowledge to expect to be able to write anything apart from "Hello World."

the implementation of the language into projects are my problem. and every time i ask, someone says "do this project" or that project, and when i try it, it is too complicated. and i dont understand that specific implementation of the language.

You just need training. Don't expect to be able to do this by knowing the syntax alone. People go to school for years to know how to do this stuff so there's more to it. However, it's not a problem to learn this in a much shorter time if you're focused and have the time on your hands.

All you need is for someone to teach you how to do it. A book or a tutor. To expect that you yourself will be able to pick up which tutorials are needed or being able to architect an application, database schema etc based on learning the syntax is not realistic.

i followed david's video tutorial on installing WAMP, and EMS SQL manager , but i dont see a point of installing a database on my own computer when i dont want my computer to be the server This is why you need tutoring. We all develop locally, for obvious reasons.

also i have a new question. could the "facebook" website be written in PHP alone without any other language? just php? i dont want to have to learn javascript. i do know that facebook was written in php. just not sure if anything else.
You just answered your own question, yes it could ;)

But unless you have a team of developers with some experience, this is futile. Just because you just know how to weld to pieces of metal together, does not mean that you're able to build a space rocket. 8-)

silverglade
08-28-2009, 06:01 PM
thank you Domedia!, you mean the "facebook" website could be totally programmed in only PHP? without javascript? facebook started with 2 guys.

domedia
08-28-2009, 11:46 PM
thank you Domedia!, you mean the "facebook" website could be totally programmed in only PHP? without javascript? facebook started with 2 guys.
They're not comparable, they're used for two different things.
PHP is a server running language, and Javascript runs in the client browser :)

silverglade
08-28-2009, 11:55 PM
is it possible to write a website that gets very popular using just html/css/photoshop and php? and the site makes money with advertising , with a lot of visitors? that was my plan. i guess thats what i was really wanting to know. because i dont want to learn js, learning php is going to be hard enough. im getting lessons by the way!! i hope it pays off. i want to be able to teach myself after the lessons, so i can go further than the lessons.

domedia
08-29-2009, 02:10 AM
How are you going to do any web page manipulation (client side calculations, pop-ups, animations, form validation, all kinds of pizazz) if you don't use Javascript? :) For some reason I think you think Javascript has a similar function to PHP. It does absolutely not. All you need is some structured learning. You need the very basics down first, and I think you've skipped alot of rudimentary stuff.

To achieve your goal you're going to have to learn all disciplines of web development plus all the complimentary disciplines such as advertising, online marketing, seo etc. I would pick a much lower goal to start with

But enough of this, time for studies! 8)

silverglade
08-29-2009, 02:31 AM
no DOMEDIA I WILL NOT LEARN JAVASCRIPT!!!!!!! hehe. just kidding. well if i have to learn it i have to learn it. i will find out i guess when i have a clue. right now, i dont have a clue. but thanks very much for answering my replies. most people would have just said "shut up newb". hahaha. so thank you. derek:mrgreen: <--- newbie master of the universe!

also, ya im getting those lessons from david jackson. so im pretty psyched, in php. and i think im going to learn to teach myself more while i do those lessons so thats cool too. after i get advanced at php ill have an idea of what php can and cant do but thats going to be like months from now. maybe even a year.

bee80
08-29-2009, 11:05 AM
if your getting lessons from davidJ its a great start, i started from scratch like you and took lessons with davidJ and at the moment im just using html, css, and php for my project , which includes form validation, uploads/deletes/comments, databases, dynamic population, pagination,add as favourite, security, user registration, personal pages, forums, resizing image scripts, user reviews etc etc then when ive got to the point its all working and secure it will go live. Once its live i will start to learn javascript and develop the site further ,
thats why its called web development, your sites should develop with time adding new content and tech along the way :)
I was smiling to myself the other day when i fixed a $_GET problem of a user clicking on a dynamic thumbnail to open another page with the same photo but enlarged and comments of that photo was not passing the photo id through the url.I wrote that script myself and debugged it myself and thats what made me smile 7 months ago i didnt know what php was but i knew DW couldnt do the things i wanted and in stepped davidJ, its very rewarding and enjoyable learning php so go for it :)

silverglade
08-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Holy Cow bee80, that was inspirational! i hope i get as good as you with time. im copying and pasting your post to my desktop for future inspiration. lol. thank you very much for posting it!:-D what did you do to learn further after your lessons were over? i was worried id be stuck at the end of the lessons with just knowing what the lessons taught me. and that 7 months shows me what a realistic time frame is to learn in at what level so thanks! derek

bee80
08-29-2009, 06:00 PM
lol im not good at all im just learning like you :) what did i do after? i bought 2 books both of which i found excellent. Head First PHP & MySQL (you should buy this!!) and Visual quickpro PHP 6 and MySQL 5

gigiloumill
09-03-2009, 01:30 PM
You can create anything you want. I don't know how people created sites without php. There's the fast way of learning and the slow way. the slow way is spending countless hours figuring out how things work. what worked for me is the hands on approach. Get any script you want and play with it. delete here and there and see what happens, this way it'll give you an idea on how and why it works. If you get stuck, ask. Good luck.

silverglade
09-03-2009, 01:59 PM
thank you. the only problem i run into is that when i finish reading the basics on w3schools, and then try to do a "shoutbox" or a "captcha" code, im lost and its too advanced. what do you do when you run into this kind of problem? how do you decide or find out what the next step should be in your coding ? any more advice greatly appreciated. thanks. derek:)

gigiloumill
09-03-2009, 05:19 PM
need a 'captcha"? go to http://www.phpcaptcha.org/, the easiest one to install.

bee80
09-03-2009, 07:21 PM
i found it better learning what each function does rather than installing software, heres a great captcha tutorial that takes you through what each step does , then you can add more to it (i followed this then added some random spots after reading more on imagesetpixel and imageline) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL9AitvjZKg