PDA

View Full Version : Positions in IE vs. Firefox

renier8
08-27-2009, 05:24 AM
Hello everyone
First off - I am no coder. I did a very short course in webdesign and I was taught the very very basics. So I use Dreamweaver's design interface, create layers, and add my content to the layers.

Now I am building a small site, all I did was make a couple of layers, added photos to some, and text to others, and put some borders around the photos. In the Dreamweaver desing interface, the position is correct, and when you preview it in IE7, the positions are right, but when you view it in Firefox, some layers seem to have shifted up. Also some other elements are not showing up when viewed in Firefox, like the picture borders.

Have a look here www.wishwelllodge.co.za. It is not finished yet, but you will see what I mean if you view it in both browsers.

Can anyone please help.
Thanks in advance.
Renier

edbr
08-27-2009, 06:06 AM
it is because you have used absolutely positioned layers. use relative or at least wrap your content in a div so they will take their reference from the div borders

renier8
08-27-2009, 06:49 AM
Thank you for the help

May I be a pain and ask for a little more help ?
I am not really sure how to do what you just suggested.

Would you be so kind and give a short description of accomplishing that ?

Many many thanks
Renier

edbr
08-27-2009, 08:55 AM
im not sayint this will fix it , but in you styles add
#wrap{ width: 90%; margin:auto;}
in youtr page select content(all) then insert div wrap using wrap around

renier8
08-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Hi
It did not work, but thanks for the effort. I have just moved everything down a little so that it does not overlap. Far from a work of art, I know, but that is all I have time for, and it is the only skills I have.

Renier

edbr
08-27-2009, 09:39 AM
ok but in future you really should use relative positioning for layout

renier8
08-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks mate. I am doing it over trying relative.

Tomcat104
08-30-2009, 11:04 PM
I use Firefox and your site looks good to me. I don't know if this is after you redesigned it but anyway looks good to me. I would have said use RELATIVE POSITIONING too, I basically use it all the time. Good Luck-----

DWcourse
08-30-2009, 11:17 PM
im not sayint this will fix it , but in you styles add
#wrap{ width: 90%; margin:auto;}
in youtr page select content(all) then insert div wrap using wrap around

If you include position: relative; in the #wrap rule it will make sure the absolutely positioned elements align to the wrapper div rather than the window.

renier8
08-31-2009, 06:26 AM
Thanks.

I sort of came right by making it all over, and making all the divs relative.

Renier