PDA

View Full Version : Something missing?

Katieve
08-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi Everyone,

Managed to sort out the issues I had previously and have an almost finished website. However, I had very grand ideas at the beginning which seemed to have fallen by the wayside. I'm trying to convince myself that the style and colours (or rather lack of colour) has produced a stylish, professional site but now I'm thinking it's just boring and uneventful.

www.lionsriverbordeaux.co.uk

Please may I have some constructive criticism? Be gentle though!!:wink:

Thanks!

edbr
08-24-2009, 01:15 AM
i dont think the splash page is needed i prefer straight to the home page.
i can see what you are trying in simplicity but i think it is a bit overpowering.
more images would help and i think it would be what visitors would want to see, that way the proportion of black would be less and i think would look better.
a little colour would help i think red against black maybe, if used sparsely

Corrosive
08-24-2009, 11:46 AM
I think it is fine as a concept but it needs some more stuff in it. Both for human viewers and some Search Engine 'food'. Do you mind if I ask you why your grand ideas have been downgraded?

d a v e
08-24-2009, 12:55 PM
in my opinion - and some others in web design - black has become a bit of a tired fashion, though obviously it has its uses, but i think for a dog site it's just too, er, dark!

Katieve
08-24-2009, 05:38 PM
I think it is fine as a concept but it needs some more stuff in it. Both for human viewers and some Search Engine 'food'. Do you mind if I ask you why your grand ideas have been downgraded?

I'd done some lovely pictures of the dogs within photoshop but the colours were quite depressing if looked at in the context of a website. I felt I could re-write the book on how a website could be without a regimented menu etc but then quickly realised that random links etc just wasn't going to work so I backtracked rather quickly. I happened to have made a friend who shows a dog and is also a webdesigner and she's helped me a little. But it's expensive!

Here are the sites I'm 'competing' with:

www.dogdebordeaux.co.uk
www.rozeldoguedebordeaux.com
www.champdogues.com
www.la-tour-gelee.com

Many others are done through mrsite but I wanted ours to be something special and not seen before.

Corrosive
08-24-2009, 06:02 PM
I felt I could re-write the book on how a website could be without a regimented menu etc but then quickly realised that random links etc just wasn't going to work so I backtracked rather quickly.

Yes, I think that for your first project 'rewriting the book' might have been a little over-ambitious! In my experience people like a bit of order in a website. Some of the ones I have seen with 'mad' links tend to be confusing for viewers (I admit that I may be easily confused!)

Here are the sites I'm 'competing' with:

www.dogdebordeaux.co.uk
www.rozeldoguedebordeaux.com
www.champdogues.com
www.la-tour-gelee.com

Many others are done through mrsite but I wanted ours to be something special and not seen before.

OK, not overly taken with any of those to be honest. Forgive me if I presume too much but people will visit your site for info about your dogs...not to see how good a web designer you are. The website should be clean, crisp, easy to navigate and have loads of great pictures and text for viewers. I think you have approached it back to front.

Have you ever sat down with a piece of paper and worked out what it is you want to include, who your target audience is and how it should all go together? That's where I start with any project. Dreamweaver is for later!

If you do that and come back with a clear idea of what you want then I'll help you out if you like.

Rob_Che
08-26-2009, 08:45 AM
I agree with Corrosive, those sites you have shown are not particularly good anyway.

Design a simple layout or even start with a template (see top menu) and work from there. With a little time and considering what youwant to achieve you can do better than those other sites... we'll help too of course!

Rob_Che
08-26-2009, 08:47 AM
oh, and re. your site it looks very strange having serif and sans-serif fonts mixed the way you have. Choose two styles (header and body) and stick to them.

It's meant with no disrespect when I say, start again. You can do better with less work I think.

Katieve
08-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the pointers - much appreciated. I know people will visit the site to see the dogs but it's important that I present a good, well designed website as this reflects upon me personally, our kennels, our dogs and how professional I am about everything I do as the website will be someone's first impression of me. Also, i don't have as many dogs as the other kennels so they have a fair bit of content to put into their site, mine is still a little light and I didn't want to put cr*p pictures on just for the sake of it.

I did do the website on a piece of paper first which I'm redoing with a colour palettes to think about....will keep you posted!

Corrosive
08-27-2009, 06:12 AM
it's important that I present a good, well designed website as this reflects upon me personally, our kennels, our dogs and how professional I am about everything I do as the website will be someone's first impression of me.

I agree 100% with this and, in now way, did I suggest that you should do anything other than that. Just don't confuse 'professional' with over-complicated or 'out there' design. Some of the best websites in the world are simple, simple, simple. Google for instance ;)

blanchard
09-07-2009, 09:56 AM
If you are looking for inspiration then try here http://www.templatemonster.com
I go here for layout ideas.

Best regards
Blanchard