DW. I have tried to resolve a layout problem to no available. I

am new to using Dreamweaver. I will explain what we are trying

to accomplish using layers. I don't know if what we are trying to

accomplish is practical. Plus if there are specific docs that

address and/or explain how or why not, I would appreciate being

directed to these resourses.

I plan to use a template where the third layer that contains the

product table is rewritable and there is no overlay between 3rd

and 4th layer and not alot of empty space between layers 3 and 4.

We are converting an existing website that has many webpages.

Let's assume that there are 30 product webpages. Each product

has 1 to n items and its own webpage. A HTML Table has been used

with each row displaying info specific to the product item.

The footer contains links to the other 29 products.

With DW, I have 4 layout areas:
1. header/banner that I have currently have declared to have

absolute: left : 0 px and top : 0 px. Width is 100%

2. Next layer is simple menu/table with links to the products,

contact info, etc. I have used absolute positioning: left 0 and

top 71 px.

3. This layer contains the table of items for the product

widget-n. Once again I have made the left and top absolute:
left 0 and top 101px. The table size changes in number of rows

as items are sold or purchased.

4.the 4th layer which is the footer needs to be position at the

below the table with the left set to 0px. This is where I have

problems. How do I tell DW that I wnat this 4th layer to always

appear below the 3rd layer, no matter if the height of the table

is 100 or 600px.

I am hoping that there is an easily solution that this newbe to

DW doesn't understand or has overlooked. Thank you for your help

in advance.

DWcourse
08-14-2009, 09:45 PM
There's a lot in that question, can you provide a link and maybe just one issue at a time?

adobedmp
08-14-2009, 11:48 PM
We are trying to not have a fixed height for the web pages. Maybe this is not feasible and practical. Do I have to resort to having a fix height for the web page and have the layer with the expanding/contracting table use the scroll for overflow?

The current pages the footer with the links was added manually. I really would like to use a template to rebuild all the web pages. I really like having write and nonwritable areas declared in the template. But because product web page height varies, I have not been able to figure out how to have the footer layer directly follow. Maybe I do not have the footer's links contained in a layer but in a paragraph and just add directly after the table and make the paragraph nonwriteable.

How do you have the next layer start at the very end of the previous layer where the previous layer's bottom is allowed to expand or contract? The previous layer has a table which over time the number of rows increase or decrease. Because of this the next layer (i.e. the footer that contains 29 links) top location is dependent upon where the previous layer's table last row.

Do I have to make the footer layer a nested layer within the previous layer?

I have tried making the footer layer relative but it jumps to the top. But doesn't mean that I am doing it the correct way.

Would providing HTML code help or anything else be helpful? :confused:

DWcourse
08-15-2009, 12:20 AM
If by layers you mean that you're using Absolutely Positioned divs (layers is what Dreamweaver used to call them) you're going about it the wrong way. Absolutely positioned divs basically ignore (and are ignored by) all the rest of the page elements. So, if the grow, the other page elements don't move to accomodate.

You need to find a good tutorial on creating CSS layouts with default (relative) positioned divs.

adobedmp
08-15-2009, 02:39 AM
Yes, I am referring to absolute Divs. I'll search for a tutorial on relative as you suggested.

For clarification, the absolute Divs are fine for the top section of the page where one the business name and common links appear. the height is static (constant) from page to page.

I do appreciate your feedback. I hope that the tutorial(s) will improve my understanding of page layouts. Otherwise I'll be back. :)

DWcourse
08-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Right, absolute divs are fine when you can count on things being static from page to page (although centering becomes an issue). The problem come in when the dimensions of an item change since the other items on the page don't "react" to the change.

BTW, Dreamweaver had some nice built-in CSS layouts (1, 2 and 3 column with or without header and footer.

Good luck.