PDA

View Full Version : Spry nav menu as library element - how?

jstevans
08-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Hi,

I'm fairly new at Dreamweaver, muddling through OK thanks to some much appreciated help from forum members here.

The Spry menu bar is great, very easy to work with, customize, etc. But when I try to turn it into a Dreamweaver Library Element and then re-use it on another template within the same web site it doesn't work.

I am able to turn the menu bar into a library element but as am doing so Dreamweaver warns me that the menu bar might not look the same when used elsewhere because the style information does not travel with it.

Sure enough, I can insert the resultant library element into another template but it doesn't work the same as the original. The menu bar shows up, actually looks much like I'd had in the original but none of the flyouts work. And the links themselves are not working.

I'd welcome any guidance on what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

DWcourse
08-14-2009, 08:50 PM
That's because the menus rely on external style and javascript files that aren't being referenced in the new document.

jstevans
08-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Does that mean the Spry menus cannot be used as library elements?

Or does it mean I need to do something different?

And if I cannot use Spry menus as library elements what is the best way to have a single instance of the nav menu to edit and maintain while using it in multiple templates.

Thanks

DWcourse
08-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Just make sure that the menu is in an non-editable portion of the template. Then when you update it in the template the changes will flow through to the template-based pages.