PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wondering how to get rid of a Tooltip that I don't remember adding

jstevans
08-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Hi all,

I'm struggling through my first Dreamweaver web site. The struggle is on my side, not Dreamweaver's. I've been able to figure out most things with the help of Dreamweaver for Dummies and the Dreamweaver Bible. However, I'm stuck on one point right now.

I'll be grateful for any help you might have time to offer.

BTW - I'm using Dreamweaver CS4 under WInXP Pro with many free GB on my hard drive and 4 GB of RAM.

Somehow I managed to put a Spry Tooltip into one of the two templates I'm using for this web site. How? No idea - part of the price of being a newbie, huh?

I don't want a tooltip, at least not here and not now. I'd be grateful for some help.

Here's the code just prior to the tooltip's appearance and the tooltip itself - I have no idea what I did to add it in.

I would have thought I could just delete (or comment out) the code in red. But when I try that Dreamweaver gets very upset with me - sorry I didn't record the actual error message. What happens is that when I try to save the template Dreamweaver asks if I want to update the pages that depend on it - I say yes and then Dreamweaver gives me an alert message.

But the gist of it is that by deleting this code in the template on which some of my pages are based the actual pages will have code left in them that makes no sense and can cause browser problems.

I hope that's a half-decent explanation, enough to help me out at least.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. The code follows next.

Jay

<div id="footer">
<p>Copyright 2009 by SecretComppany, Inc.</p>
<!-- end #footer --></div>
<!-- end #container -->
<span id="container2">Tooltip trigger goes here.</span></div>
<div class="tooltipContent" id="sprytooltip1">Tooltip content goes here.</div>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
var MenuBar1 = new Spry.Widget.MenuBar("MenuBar1", {imgRight:"SpryAssets/SpryMenuBarRightHover.gif"});
var sprytooltip1 = new Spry.Widget.Tooltip("sprytooltip1", "#container");
//-->
</script>
</body>
</html>

DWcourse
08-13-2009, 05:48 PM
also might try deleting this:

var sprytooltip1 = new Spry.Widget.Tooltip("sprytooltip1", "#container");

and the links to your tooltip javascripts and css in the head of your document:

<script src="SpryAssets/SpryTooltip.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<link href="SpryAssets/SpryTooltip.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

jstevans
08-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the kind reply.

I found the code you suggested - it appears to be on every page that was made with the template. Is this a manual page-by-page process ro is there a global way to get rid of it on all the pages made with this template?

Jay

DWcourse
08-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Do you understand about editable and locked regions in templates?

jstevans
08-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Yes, at least to some extent. I managed to insert a Spry tabbed panel which required me to work with locked and editable.

DWcourse
08-13-2009, 07:10 PM
If the code is in a locked portion of the page, then removing it and saving will prompt you to update all files based upon the template.

If the code is in an editable portion of the document, then the update won't flow through to files based upon the template.

jstevans
08-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Ahhh, that makes sense.

Deleting the var sprytooltip1 = new Spry.Widget.Tooltip("sprytooltip1", "#container"); solved the problem.

I probably need to go back and de-trash the code by removing the rest of the items you listed but at least my client isn't as worried! That crazy tooltip had him nervous.

Thanks for your kind help, much appreciated.

Jay