PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Container div

GreenGorilla
08-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Okay, so how do I create a container div, and how does that differ from a "wrapper"? And then how do I force the divs I add afterward to be "children"?

If code needs to be added then I need to know where in the lineup it needs to be added. I am such a novice. I need a few of the steps that are missing

I usually draw a layer and then change the CSS properties after I have positioned it. Is this the correct way to make that first "container" layer or what?

Thanks for any clear and step by step instructions. I have been scanning the forums for three hours and I keep seeing different answers given to the same questions about centering. It is confusing.

DWcourse
08-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Okay, so how do I create a container div, and how does that differ from a "wrapper"? And then how do I force the divs I add afterward to be "children"?

From the insert palette, add a div and give it the ID of wrapper (or container). It's just a matter of what you want to call it.

I usually draw a layer and then change the CSS properties after I have positioned it. Is this the correct way to make that first "container" layer or what?

Layers are actually absolutely positioned divs. And that's not a good way to design. I recommend you start with some good CSS tutorials. It's too much to try to deal with in a forum post.

Thanks for any clear and step by step instructions. I have been scanning the forums for three hours and I keep seeing different answers given to the same questions about centering. It is confusing.

Not meaning to be rude but that's because you don't understand the basic concepts of CSS positioning. Concentrate on understanding that first.

GreenGorilla
08-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks. The frustraing part is that even without a thorough understanding of CSS (And I have watched hours and hours of tutorials), I was able to accomplish the centering with the older version of Dreamweaver.

It is that part about making the additional layers become "child" div tags that doesn't seem to work now. In the past the first div tag I would put on the palette became the "parent" and then each layer afterward could easily be nested in as a child. I know there is probably some very easy step I am overlooking or don't know because of the updated version.

I can make a website. I just need to know how to do this one simple thing.
Here is a link to one I did three years ago http://www.chucksresume.com/

DWcourse
08-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Just make sure the insertion point is inside the parent when you insert the child.