PDA

View Full Version : Weblayout works fine with IE and chrome but not with firefox :(

skinless
08-12-2009, 07:35 AM
what could be the reasons ?

In firefox the layout gets scrambled(shifted) by few pixels. also the scroll bar wont show in firefox. :(

edbr
08-12-2009, 07:58 AM
code, URL, or crystal ball please

domedia
08-12-2009, 01:31 PM
what could be the reasons ?
You're not coding it right for Firefox.

skinless
08-13-2009, 07:03 PM
what things are different for firefox ? i m attaching the files... this is at first attempt at these things :-D

Corrosive
08-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Try not saving your PSD as HTML in photoshop and construct your website properly from div tags and CSS. You have all the nasty tell-tale signs of 'image spacer' gifs and empty tables...In fact tables full stop. I don't think anyone will debug this for you until you adopt web standards for your layout.

skinless
08-13-2009, 08:56 PM
but isnt that how web layouts are designed ? :( from Photoshop > dreamweaver ?

Corrosive
08-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Nope, you've got some reading to do ;)

Basically you can create graphics in photoshop but 'save as HTML' is not the way to go. Cut images out individually as you require and then reconstruct in Dreamweaver using CSS and div tags.

skinless
08-13-2009, 09:05 PM
could u please guide me ... i will be more than happy to learn the right way :)

skinless
08-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Oh god.. i have wasted a couple of weeks on this ... just to know its wrong :( is there not a work around for this.. i vl put the web standards in use the next time .. :(

Anyways atleast can i know whats the thing that firefox makes this looks fine in ie and chrome but not firefox :(

skinless
08-14-2009, 07:24 AM
someone pls help :(

edbr
08-14-2009, 07:31 AM
how do you need help?

skinless
08-14-2009, 08:42 AM
1. what are the elements that makes web layouts look different in different browsers.
2. Whats the right approach since my approach is wrong ??

edbr
08-14-2009, 09:34 AM
its easier to answer what makes a page compatible, simple answer ids divs .
look at the page in my link it is very simple but shows a use of divs.
also in dreamweaver ther are a number of template designs, in the template section of this forum there are more free designs.
have a look try a few thn post back and we can maybe help you get your design sorted

domedia
08-14-2009, 03:40 PM
1. what are the elements that makes web layouts look different in different browsers. It looks different in different browsers because most browsers use their own rendering engine, they create their own software. These have their own bugs and different support for various elements and CSS properties. This is afaik one of the main responsibilities of someone creating stuff for the web. You have to know your browsers, and this knowledge only comes from experience and dealing with with and fixing the rendering when it's wrong. It's always been like that, and it will stay like this in the foreseeable future.
2. Whats the right approach since my approach is wrong ?? Try to isolate the error and through trial and error/research/googling figure out a way to fix it, or hopefully find the answer from someone else who've had the same problem.

Can you put this somewhere temporarily on the web? Hopefully then someone here can use their tools and experience to lead you in the right direction.

skinless
08-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the hints. i have managed to solve most of the bugs and converted the tables to divs.... now everything looks good but .. only problem now.. scroll bar wont come now... And hints for that ?

skinless
08-14-2009, 04:22 PM
solved that too ... thank you for the guidance guys... :) scroll problem was really noobish one... position: fixed to position: relative in wrapper ;-)

domedia
08-14-2009, 05:48 PM
or just remove the position property all together, unless you have a specific reason to keep it defined as 'relative'