PDA

View Full Version : Cannot create remote site.

XEyedBear
08-10-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm using DW MX 2004 under Windows XP/SP3, in the Manage Sites dialog, on the advanced tab, trying to edit remote info. I want to define a remote site on a openSuSE Linux web-server, but DW tells me: "Cannot display the remote folder. The network path was not found".

The Linux web-server is running Apache 2 and is able to respond to a browse request from IE on my Windows computer - it returns the expected 'It Works!' message that is Apache's default index page, before any web-sites are built.

The index.html page is found at /svr/www/htdocs on the web-server computer. Naturally enough the Windows computer does not have permission to access that folder and it would be very wrong to build a share for it that other computers on my LAN could access.

How than can DW create a remote site on a Linux/Apache web-server - which must have been done millions of times elsewhere!

What exactly do I enter in the DW entry box called Remote Folder: on the Remote Info. page?

DWcourse
08-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Edit: Assuming your connecting by ftp

In the remote info category of the site definition dialog your host directory should be /svr/www/htdocs

XEyedBear
08-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Edit: Assuming your connecting by ftp

In the remote info category of the site definition dialog your host directory should be /svr/www/htdocs

I think I'm using my LAN, not ftp, since I don't have a domain registered yet.

Using this directory string creates the error message "... cannot find the path specified" - which is not surprising since it contains no definition of which computer it is on.

Surely, this scenario must have been used thousands of times before: use DW on one computer on a LAN, with a remote site on another computer on the same LAN. Surely it must be easy to do. So what am I doing wrong - aside from not understanding at all how DW can possibly get at the folder /svr and anything below it, when it does not have permission to get to / ?

DWcourse
08-10-2009, 08:48 PM
You need to figure out how you are connecting to your server before we're going to be able to do you much good. Is the server something you have a direct connection to through your local network? If so, you have to have permission to access the directory and you probably need to talk to your IT guy.

EDIT: BTW, repeating that this must have been done thousands of times won't change the fact you need permission to put files into the server directory.

XEyedBear
08-10-2009, 09:37 PM
You need to figure out how you are connecting to your server before we're going to be able to do you much good. Is the server something you have a direct connection to through your local network? If so, you have to have permission to access the directory and you probably need to talk to your IT guy.

It is quite clear how I am connected to my server: Linux and Windows clients connect through SAMBA shares. There is no way I am going to make /svr/www/htdocs a SAMBA share.

From this I conclude that DW cannot create a remote site on a Linux web-server, using Local/Network conection type. It can only do this in a Microsoft environment, where the security is less demandinge. So I guess I am going to have to vonnect via ftp.

When I do this, using the address you suggested, ftp times out and I get a message saying that the server is turned off (not true) or the site is not defined - which is true and is the reason I am trying to ftp put the site files to the server in the first place! i.e. this looks like a deadly embrace.

DWcourse
08-10-2009, 10:10 PM
:confused:

XEyedBear
08-11-2009, 08:21 AM
:confused:

Sorry, this symbol doesn't have any specific and explicit meaning to me. I don't know which of the many possible responses would be the relevant one.

Corrosive
08-11-2009, 11:13 AM
It means 'confused'.

domedia
08-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Sorry, this symbol doesn't have any specific and explicit meaning to me. I don't know which of the many possible responses would be the relevant one.
:roll: :wink:

edbr
08-12-2009, 01:19 AM
not certain but you may have too use the ip address of your serverfor the remote

XEyedBear
08-13-2009, 11:22 AM
not certain but you may have too use the ip address of your serverfor the remote

OK, I have understood how to fix it now. For some reason I hadn't bothered to click the help button on this dialog in DW (I guess that's a part of the M$ legacy - I have never found any value in any M$ help facility).

In this case the help information showed me explicitly what from of addressing I needed to use for ftp and also explained that the host address could be left blankk. The test button then worked and I was able, after getting some excellent support on the OpenSuSE Network forum, to define and update multiple remote sites on my Linux web-server.