PDA

View Full Version : "Things" not appearing in Design view

GTB
08-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Hi, I have had quite a bit of trouble with things such as pictures and in one instance a whole page, not appearing in the design view of dreamweaver.

At the minute I am trying to add Google adsense to the site just to see how it performs.

The problem is the advert doesn't appear anywhere in the Design view of the page.

(It does appear on the published site, but not where I want it to.)

As I mentioned this has happened on a whole page for me before so I deleted it and did something else.
On that page there were lots of jpegs etc, (Much the same as the rest of the site) but nothing showed in design view but appeared on the published page.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong ?

Image here if anyone is curious http://www.thegtb.co.uk/images/dreamweaverproblem040809.jpg

DWcourse
08-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Adsense is a javascript. Dreamweaver doesn't parse Javascript in design view so you won't see the Adsense until you preview it in a browser (or in LiveView in CS4).

I can't address you other issues without seeing the actual pages/code.

GTB
08-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Many thanks for reply.

My problem now is how to position it if that is the case.

When I try centering it all I get when I publish is a banner saying website not available.

I want to show you the code for this problem and the other but for some reason I can't use the code tags here.

It is the home page of my website, I'm not sure if I am allowed to put the url so I wont.

I can put the advert in the left hand bottom of the web page ok but it looks awful there.

Cheers

edbr
08-05-2009, 01:12 AM
yes post your website link that is a relevant reason . no problem

GTB
08-05-2009, 07:26 AM
Many thanks.

www.thegtb.co.uk (http://www.thegtb.co.uk)

The advert is at the bottom of the home page.

Corrosive
08-05-2009, 07:39 AM
I'm not sure you should need to see the ad in design view to place it. Usually it would just fit into the 'flow' of your website. So. you paste the code for your adsense as say the last item in the left hand column and that's where it will appear. Reliance on design view should overcome as quickly as you can.

GTB
08-05-2009, 07:45 AM
I agree, and I have tried doing it just by copying and pasting.

The problem is that when I try centering the advert in the middle of the page I get a pop up box asking me to name a new ccs rule.

When I complete this box and publish the page, the content of the add cannot be seen, I just get a box saying website cannot be displayed.

I am off to work now and will have another look later.

edbr
08-05-2009, 07:48 AM
you need to put it in a div or row and centre
<div class=" google">
<script type="text/javascript"><!--
google_ad_client = "pub-5744678369320434";
/* GTB Google Ad */
google_ad_slot = "1611677413";
google_ad_width = 728;
google_ad_height = 90;
//-->
</script>
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script></div>
</body>
this is in-line styling as the rest of your page but you should look at other alternatives like css as you progress. so define the div in styles e

like this
.google{width:100%; text-align: center;}

GTB
08-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Ahhh, it's ok I managed it, I just added <p align="center"> before the script and it has worked.

Can't understand why something as good as DW couldn't have done that for me !

Thanks anyway guys.

GTB
08-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Oops sorry, didn't see that last post.

Many thanks.

edbr
08-05-2009, 07:53 AM
well done, its great when a plan comes together

domedia
08-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Can't understand why something as good as DW couldn't have done that for me ! Remember that DW is the merely tool you use. You're the one that needs to sit with the HTML and CSS skills.