PDA

View Full Version : Email Newsletter

blimp
08-03-2009, 02:04 AM
I've been asked by one of my clients to put together an email newsletter so that he can email his new product information to his subscribe clients.

From the information I've gathered, I believe I need to create the newsletter using html/css, then upload it to their server which can then be embedded into an email.

I'm I going about this the right way?

edbr
08-03-2009, 02:20 AM
yes or use a program dedicated for this. i use pommo but i think their site id dwn mailchimp is often recommended but i havent used it.
the advantage is ( at least with pommo) that you can stagger mail sending. most servers have a limit per hour . also yahoo hotmail will junk them if too many mails are sent to them in the same session so again staggeed sending is a must.
second sent as multipart so a txt version can be used if html is not permited
third it is advisable to use a submit / opt out or once again you will go into the sin bin
there are also a few rules to follow in creating mails like all styling must be inline or <styles> must be in the body not the head as they will automatically be stripped out

blimp
08-03-2009, 02:25 AM
edbr, do you have any links I can look at for more information?

edbr
08-03-2009, 03:30 AM
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pommo/
links regarding limitations? just check spam guidleines generally and mail servers specifically,
corrosive posted some info on chipmunk some where on this forum recently

blimp
08-03-2009, 03:57 AM
edbr, I now better understand what inline coding is. If my normal html/css code looks like this:

<div id="wrapper"></div>

#wrapper {
height: 780px;
width: 850px;
margin:0px auto;
background-image: url(img/bg1.jpg);

How would I format that inline?

edbr
08-03-2009, 04:15 AM
put it in <style> tags a same as if using styles on a single documentnd put that in the body, not the head.
inline is different but this is better IMO

edbr
08-03-2009, 04:19 AM
i you download the pommo app it has a wysiwg and an example e mail look how theyve done that .
pesonally i use this but create my emails in DW or html-kit.
i send 2000+ mails a week and so far pommo has worked fine for me with a mail list of 1100 subscribers. i cant say all get through but yahoo and gmail are fine, hotmail is intermittent actually sometimes alowing sometimes not but my mails have many links to jobs details (its a ob alert mail) it might be that

blimp
08-03-2009, 04:30 AM
edbr, would this be right?

<div style="background-image:url(img/bg1.jpg); margin:0px auto; width:850px; height:780px">

blimp
08-03-2009, 04:36 AM
edbr, correct me if I'm wrong, I design the email newsletter using Dreamweaver but make sure all styling is inline, then pay & register for a pommo account and then upload my code. Do I then email my client a login & pass for the pommo account for them to add their clients emails etc....?

Sorry never done this before and want to make sure I'm doing it right.

edbr
08-03-2009, 05:53 AM
no pommo is free, you download the program thsn install in adirectory on your site. form there you can manage emails and subscribers there is custom subscribe and unsubscribe(important re spam) and you can write your mails online if you want there atre many options vailable. you can rub it on a testing server if you want to see if it is what you want

blimp
08-03-2009, 06:47 AM
ah ha.... know I understand Ed. I'll have to spend a little more time on their site to work it all out.

Thanks again for the tip.