PDA

View Full Version : Elastic Web Site


dwaddict321
07-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Hi, guys.

It's been a while.

I've set-up a really simple web site for a family member. It's basically 1 large animated GIF with only a left page margin.

(I know you're not supposed to do that, but I'm a complete novice so I did it to save my sanity).

I started with the blank HTML template in Dreamweaver CS 4 (1st option), inserted the animated GIF I created in Photoshop, and then set up a left page margin and background color which filled in the sides.

It looks really good in Firefox.

My question is, is there a way to make the whole web site elastic? Basically I want about 90% of it to display vertically (you'd have to scroll down to see the remaining 10%) irregardless of the size of the viewable window in the browser.

The issue I'm running into in Internet Explorer (the latest version) is that it does not display enough of the area I want because I have so many toolbars on (menu, favorites, internet explorer, command, etc.), so you have to scroll down a lot more and then the full effect is gone. Now, if I turn off some of these toolbars, it looks great, but I don't think many other people would do that and the web site might display for them a little weird.

Could someone tell me the code to do this?

I know DW CS4 comes with some of these elastic columns templates, but for the life of me I have no idea how to make it work.

DWcourse
07-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Actually, since you can't be sure of the size of the browser window your visitors will be using, it's kind of pointless to try to design so a certain percentage of your page displays and a certain percentage scrolls.