PDA

View Full Version : Playing all videos on one page.

GTB
07-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me here.

I have just converted all the videos on my website to flash format.

I was wondering if there is any way I can make one page that will host the "playing" flash video file.

This would be selected from the menu that I have at present.

At the the minute every video file is hosted on it's own webpage, but I don't really want to go though and redo a few hundred web pages if I can avoid it.

It would be much better I think if whichever video you picked from the menu played on the same page as any other video would play.

I hope I have made myself clear about what I am after, it's just that I don't know what this type of "programming" is called so it's difficult to look up.

Many thanks.

edbr
07-29-2009, 12:50 AM
not really familiar wit this but using iframes might be an answer with a method of varying the source file using php or javascript. just my speculation though

Ricky55
07-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Couldn't you build the whole application in Flash?

This would allow you to do this.

GTB
07-29-2009, 10:56 AM
I should have mentioned that although the website has been going for about five years now, I am still very much an amateur with very little knowledge of how things are done, or even the terminology of things that I would like to achieve.

I have recently changed from Frontpage to Dreamweaver CS4 so I am completely new to this.

(The change seems to have caused many problems that I am still working on)

There was a guy with a similar request here http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22838

But his question wasn't really answered in a way that I understand, if it was answered at all.

My website is here http://www.thegtb.co.uk and if you click on videos you will see how I have my "menu" laid out in little thumbnails.

I would like to be able to have someone click on the thumbnail and the video just play in a new pop up or, preferabbly a fixed place on that page rather than have a new page load every time a video is selected.

This would also save me having to create a new page every time I add a video.

Hope that's a bit clearer on what I hope to achieve.

Many thanks for replies so far.

gigiloumill
07-29-2009, 02:27 PM
You want to put all videos on bottom as thumbnails and watch video on top as it is requested per user? Try searching for a video script. There are several picture scripts to do that, try searching one for videos.

GTB
07-29-2009, 04:40 PM
I have been looking through some of the tutorials and came across this page http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/demos/gallery/

Something like that would be great, is there any reason at all that this couldn't be used for video files to ?

sedah
07-30-2009, 12:35 AM
I've been lookin for an answer for this as well, I would get answers like using iframes or behaviors. I'm tryin to do what u are as well, haven't figured it out yet. Let me kno if it works out, and I'll do the same

sedah
08-03-2009, 06:49 PM
not the OP but I'd like to *BUMP*

GTB
08-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Well I have managed one way of doing it for free, it's not exactly what I want but I wont complain as it has enabled me to remove about three hundred pages and images from my website.

If I decide to keep it that way I will have to pay for the program to get the logo removed.

If you want to see it in action it is now in the videos section of my website.

Any feedback on this page or the site in general would be appreciated.

I will also be looking to do something similar with the flash games that are on there if anyone knows a way.