PDA

View Full Version : preview in browser

marcia
07-27-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm switching over from Windows to the Mac. I'm used to previewing in both Firefox and IE. Now, I can only preview in Safari. How does this effect the end user's readability? Is there a noticeable difference? If there is, what can I do about it so that my sites look basically the same on all browsers? I usually preview a LOT during a site's creation.

I am afraid that the site will look good in Safari, but not so good in the other browsers. Of course I want to reach the broadest spectrum of viewers.

M

DWcourse
07-27-2009, 11:44 PM
I love the mac but you absolutely MUST preview on a PC as well. PC users will account for 85 to 90% of your visitors. I've installed VMware Fusion and Vista on my Mac so I can test that way. Before that, I kept an old PC around just for Browser testing.

BTW, there is a Mac version of FireFox.

marcia
07-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Hi, and thanks for your response.

I haven't had time to test yet, but I'm wary to how this works. I have 'boot camp' on my new Imac so I can switch back and forth. I have Firefox and IE on the Windows side.

It seems to me that I will need to go all the way to the remote in order to see what is on the Mac side from Windows when I only want to preview. Otherwise I don't understand how the Windows version will be updated to my Mac changes.

I hope I am wrong. If I am wrong, can you tell me what to do so that I don't need to go thru this convoluted (as I see it) process.

M

P.S. I have been under the impression that the Mac version of Firefox and Windows Vista are not very good. I know nothing of VMware Fusion.

DWcourse
07-29-2009, 06:16 AM
Using boot camp, I would suppose you could have your sites in a shared folder that both PC and Mac could use but you still have to reboot. Hardly practical.

The Mac version of Firefox is just fine and pretty much matches the PC version in my experience.

Your real problem is IE 6, 7 & 8 (all of which can potentially render a page differently).

Vista isn't a Mac program, it's the same Vista you run on a PC it just runs in a virtual environment on the Mac. But a lot of people prefer NT even on a PC.

And, yes, sometimes the simplest thing to do is publish your files to a testing server to view them with all the different browsers.

BTW, BrowserLab, which is in beta testing right now allows you to test multiple browsers (Mac & PC) directly from Dreamweaver. But it's not generally available yet.

Ricky55
07-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Marcia get Parallels or VM Ware Fusion, I actually prefer Parallels but both are great and are great for testing. If you are just testing though I'd install Windows XP as its runs miles better than Vista. On my mac I have XP and Vista installed through Parallels, XP I leave at IE6 and Vista as IE8. I then have a Mac Book Pro with XP and IE7.

I wouldn't bother with Boot Camp, Boot Camp is really only useful if you need to run intensive programs such as 3D apps. It does work well but its not as convenient as Parallels.

You'll be surprised at just how well Parallels works, especially with XP, its just like running any other application.

Once you get into the Mac you'll wonder why anyone uses PC's.

DWcourse
07-29-2009, 01:40 PM
OOPS! I meant I run XP with Fusion.

marcia
07-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks, all your suggestions are very helpful. So far I have only installed Firefox on the Mac and have not yet had much time to work with it. I'll probably have to work in a very unpractical way for a while, until I am able to get VM Ware Fusion or Parallels. I still have XP on 2 other pc computers. I guess it'll be slow going for a while.

Naively I thought that getting the Imac would solve all my problems, and now I find out it will cost more $ to get things to work in the most efficient way.

Appreciate your knowledge.

M

edbr
07-30-2009, 01:14 AM
I thought that getting the Imac would solve all my problems, and now I find out it will cost more $ to get things to work in the most efficient way.

is that a new bumper sticker :)

marcia
07-30-2009, 02:47 PM
It should be! LOL