PDA

View Full Version : Is this page standards-compliant?

Interstellar Icon
07-27-2009, 06:15 AM
Hi All,

I'm developing a website for a new client, and I'm considering using a format, for some of the pages, similar to this page: http://chiropracticforprevention.com/individualized_treatment.html. In particular, I'd like to use an interior scroll bar, as it would work well based on the design I've created. But I want to make sure it's standards-compliant, so...here are my questions:

1. Is this page standards-compliant? It doesn't validate with W3C for HTML 4.01 Transitional, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean it's not compliant. It does validate for CSS level 2.1.

2. When I look at the source code, I see both tables and divs. I'm still a novice with web design, but I'm used to seeing one or the other. Can anyone give a quick explanation as to what they're doing, and if it's up to snuff?

3. I also discovered that none of the text within the interior scroll area appears in the source code. Where would this content be if it's not in the source code? Perhaps somewhere in the CSS code? (I looked in the main_style.css sheet, and it's not there.)

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide. :-D

Sam

edbr
07-27-2009, 06:28 AM
they are using iframes for that content

Corrosive
07-27-2009, 06:29 AM
1. Is this page standards-compliant? It doesn't validate with W3C for HTML 4.01 Transitional, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean it's not compliant. It does validate for CSS level 2.1.

Hi Sam

The page doesn't even have a doctype so, no, it is not compliant. Compliance isn't everything though.

2. When I look at the source code, I see both tables and divs. I'm still a novice with web design, but I'm used to seeing one or the other. Can anyone give a quick explanation as to what they're doing, and if it's up to snuff?

Mostly tables...a div is only used to centre the content. This site is built by exporting a design with image ready slices in photoshop. Not a good model for building a site. You get tables, superfluous code and little 'spacer' gifs which have no business being there!

3. I also discovered that none of the text within the interior scroll area appears in the source code. Where would this content be if it's not in the source code? Perhaps somewhere in the CSS code? (I looked in the main_style.css sheet, and it's not there.)

The content is on a different page and displayed on the page you are looking at in an iframe. Again, a bad idea for your site design.

Hope this covers everything! Basically....don't do any of what they have done and you'll be fine ;)

Interstellar Icon
07-27-2009, 06:36 AM
Basically....don't do any of what they have done and you'll be fine ;)

Well, that's just great! :roll: Seriously, thanks for your input Corrosive - it's appreciated, as always. Now I know what not to do. Next question: Is it possible to create a similar design, but in a way that's standards-compliant?

Thanks,
Sam

edbr
07-27-2009, 07:30 AM
doctype, divs and no iframes should do it

domedia
07-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Absolutely, just use standard development techniques and you'll be fine :)

Interstellar Icon
07-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks guys! In other words, it's possible to create the interior scroll bar with divs, and I should be good to go.

I did a quick search, and came up with this: http://www.domedia.org/oveklykken/css-div-scroll.php

I assume that's exactly what I'd want to do. And is that you, domedia? Looks like you get around... :-D

Thanks again,
Sam

Corrosive
07-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Discovered Ove's website then?

Interstellar Icon
07-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Discovered Ove's website then?

It would appear I did. 8-)

domedia
07-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Heh, I wrote that page in 2002 I think :)
That is the correct way to include a scrollbar in your page, yes.