PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get back to split screen FTP.

Zoso1
07-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Hi , I am new here.

I have Dreamweaver MX which I use to create and upload webpages and images onto a server.

A week ago all uploading of new images caused an internal data error to be issued by Dreamweaver.
Old images could be uploaded but not new ones.

Anyway it turned out that my service provider had not allocated enough space for me on server hence the FTP error whenever I uploaded new objects. Now that the space has been increased I can FTP up to my server okay again.
I downloaded new FTP software to do this as I thought DW was in error.

Now, here is my problem.

While I was messing about trying to get the FTP through DW working I chopped and changed various things.

Originally I had configured the SITE as normal and could bring up the duel screens of my remote site (Left) and local site (right) by clicking an icon on the RHS of the screen which looked like a square split in two, once my main screen loaded with remote and local I could highlight required objects on the local site and upload it on to the remote.

But I clicked a link on the RHS (near the split square icon which said something about FTP manual, cannot remember exactly) which changed my whole FTP settings and now when I sign on to DW it connects to the remote site and brings up my remote objects every time and I do not get the facility to get the two sites side by side. There is no button to go back to what I had before. Not sure if I am making any sense here.

I even uninstalled DW and installed it again, but upon the new install the load seemed to remember my old settings and the new install was exactly the same, with all my old site configurations already setup.

1. It there a way to get back to the FTP setup as it was before with the split screen icon on the RHS?
2. Is there a way maybe in uninstall and clear out all settings that maybe lurking somewhere, maybe in the registry or something, so that when I install again I get a fresh new install where I can configure from scratch.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Ricky55
07-22-2009, 06:13 PM
i know what you mean, easiest way is to reset DW to its factory defaults.

see below

Yes, it's very easy to reset Dreamweaver back to all its defaults. Just delete your personal Configuration file.

The location of the personal configuration folder depends on your operating system and version of Dreamweaver. For Dreamweaver CS4, it’s as follows:

•Vista: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS4\<language>\Configuration
•Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS4\<language>\Configuration
•Mac OS X: Macintosh HD:<username>:Library:Application Support:Adobe:Dreamweaver CS4:<language>:Configuration

The Dreamweaver configuration folders are hidden on Windows, so you need to enable the option to view hidden files and folders in order to locate them, as follows:

•In Vista, select Start > Computer > Organize > Folder and Search Options > View. In Advanced settings, choose Show hidden files and folders.
•In Windows XP, select Start > My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View. In Advanced settings, choose Show hidden files and folders.

Zoso1
07-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks Ricky55, i shall give it a go over the weekend.

Zoso1
07-23-2009, 05:33 PM
No, did not work.

The config folder was in a slightly different place, under Raoming\Macromedia\Dreamwaever\configuration.

What I did was rename the Dreamweaver folder to XXXDreamweaver so that a new install would not find it and create a new one, which it did on a new install, but it seemed to pick up the old values from someplace and I got exactly the same thing again. :(

DWcourse
07-23-2009, 07:39 PM
In the icon bar at the top of the Site (or ftp) window there is an icon of a little expanding box on the right end. Click it and see if that takes care of it.

OR

Under menu: Window>Workspace you should be able to reset the workspace or choose a custom one.

Zoso1
07-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Sorry guys, no luck.

The re-install did not work even though I had renamed the configuration folder, it did not reset to factory settings.

I could not find any expanding icon anywhere and no workspace reset.

Seems I will have to live with it and FTP to the server using an external FTP program. :sad:

DWcourse
07-26-2009, 04:57 PM
See attached.

You can also grab the "Files" tab and just drop it back into one of hte palettes.

domedia
07-26-2009, 05:56 PM
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/425118

Yes, it's very easy to reset Dreamweaver back to all its defaults. Just delete your personal Configuration file.

The location of the personal configuration folder depends on your operating system and version of Dreamweaver. For Dreamweaver CS4, it’s as follows:

•Vista: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS4\<language>\Configuration
•Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS4\<language>\Configuration
•Mac OS X: Macintosh HD:<username>:Library:Application Support:Adobe:Dreamweaver CS4:<language>:Configuration

The Dreamweaver configuration folders are hidden on Windows, so you need to enable the option to view hidden files and folders in order to locate them, as follows:

•In Vista, select Start > Computer > Organize > Folder and Search Options > View. In Advanced settings, choose Show hidden files and folders.
•In Windows XP, select Start > My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View. In Advanced settings, choose Show hidden files and folders.