PDA

View Full Version : Resize icon

spazzer
07-22-2009, 06:55 AM
Hi,
I have seen a website with a resize icon where the user can beef up the text size or minimise it does anyone know how this is done and how i could put an icon to do this on my website ???

Cheers,
Nick C ;-)

Corrosive
07-22-2009, 07:19 AM
You could use a stylesheet switcher. Something along the lines of...

http://corrosiveonline.co.uk/_projects/stylesheet_switch/page1.htm

I've used it to switch colours in this demo but you could use it with two or three different text stylesheets to achieve the effect you want.

You could also use PHP for this if you believe viewers are likely to have js disabled. Otherwise, leave it up to the viewer. Explain that browsers have this option built in!

edbr
07-22-2009, 07:34 AM
interesting point about javascript i am always curious about that

Corrosive
07-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Do you mean 'how many and what kind of visitors might have js disabled'?

edbr
07-22-2009, 08:16 AM
yes i hada site with a javascript only validation on a test question/ captcha before i changed itand it was surprising how many mails bypassed it

d a v e
07-22-2009, 11:25 AM
imho i don't see much point in replicating a basic browser function, and it often only goes a couple of sizes bigger/smaller. same as the old 'bookmark this site'. those who need it (should) know how to do either. of course if you wish to add it to your site then of course i wouldn't advise against it, but i just wonder whether it's worth all the bother ;)

Corrosive
07-22-2009, 12:09 PM
imho i don't see much point in replicating a basic browser function, and it often only goes a couple of sizes bigger/smaller. same as the old 'bookmark this site'. those who need it (should) know how to do either. of course if you wish to add it to your site then of course i wouldn't advise against it, but i just wonder whether it's worth all the bother ;)

I would agree with all of that d a v e. If you are doing it just because it looks like a nice feature on other sites then that is a waste of time. If you are doing it for the benefit of viewers who need accessibility options then you would probably find that they will either have their own stylesheet which they apply to sites or know how to increase text size. The BBC have it right, they just tell a user how to do it in their chosen browser.