PDA

View Full Version : Display problems with widescreen monitor

Electrodesign
07-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Can someone help with this problem?
My clients site displays fine in all resolutions up to 1280x1024 but he complains that when showing his site to Customers it looks odd when using a widescreen or larger than 1280x1024 monitor.
I don't have access to anything larger than 1280x1024 so i'd appreciate if someone who's hot on CSS could take a look at my code to see where I've gone wrong.
As the site is contained within a container (wrapper) div, I would have thought that there would be no problems with any divs nested within the (wrapper).
Take a look here:
http://www.shawslgvtraining.co.uk/index.php

download my CSS file here:

http://www.shawslgvtraining.co.uk/CSS/master.css

Thanks in advance

Paul

Corrosive
07-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Can someone help with this problem?
My clients site displays fine in all resolutions up to 1280x1024 but he complains that when showing his site to Customers it looks odd when using a widescreen or larger than 1280x1024 monitor.
I don't have access to anything larger than 1280x1024 so i'd appreciate if someone who's hot on CSS could take a look at my code to see where I've gone wrong.
As the site is contained within a container (wrapper) div, I would have thought that there would be no problems with any divs nested within the (wrapper).
Take a look here:
http://www.shawslgvtraining.co.uk/index.php

download my CSS file here:

http://www.shawslgvtraining.co.uk/CSS/master.css

Thanks in advance

Paul

Can you elaborate on 'it looks odd' please. Your site looks well built and fine to me.

domedia
07-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah in order to 'unodd' it, 'odd' needs to be defined :)

My site looks odd, how can I fix it? ;)

Electrodesign
07-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Right...
When I say it looks odd, you have to understand that I havent seen the problem and have been told of it third hand, so to speak.
Apparently, the centre div containing the text has a large gap between it and the header. Maybe half a page. I can't understand this as the centre div has no margin or padding assigned to it that I know of and if it were a flow problem I would have thought that the 2 sidebars would be out as well.
To be honest, I've tested and tested this site and can't see where there's an issue. I can't find out what resolution the Guy uses or what Browser he uses as I don't deal with the man direct. The Client that I built it for is satisfied but it's a bit embarrassing when he shows his site to others and there's a problem.
Confused....Yeah me too!

Corrosive
07-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Right...
When I say it looks odd, you have to understand that I havent seen the problem and have been told of it third hand, so to speak.
Apparently, the centre div containing the text has a large gap between it and the header. Maybe half a page. I can't understand this as the centre div has no margin or padding assigned to it that I know of and if it were a flow problem I would have thought that the 2 sidebars would be out as well.
To be honest, I've tested and tested this site and can't see where there's an issue. I can't find out what resolution the Guy uses or what Browser he uses as I don't deal with the man direct. The Client that I built it for is satisfied but it's a bit embarrassing when he shows his site to others and there's a problem.
Confused....Yeah me too!

Have you tried running it through browsershots.org?

Corrosive
07-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Right I've just put your page up on IE Tester (I know it isn't great but...) it does recreate your issue in IE8! About half a page gap in the middle and right columns. Widescreen monitor...Vista...could be IE8 is your problem??

domedia
07-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Right...
I would tell thee client that you've done extensive testing and can not find an issue. If he wants you to help further, there should be a description of operating system and browsers used, at a minimum.

EDIT: nvm, I see that Corrosive found the problem browser.

Electrodesign
07-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks for your help, I ran it through IE Tester and i now see the problem.
Looks like i'll be doing some debugging!
I'll post back when i've sorted it
Thanks very much again Guys

Corrosive
07-22-2009, 05:17 PM
No problem. Just call me Hercule Poirot ;) Happy de-bugging!

Cary
07-22-2009, 11:03 PM
This problem shows up in IE 8 even at a normal width. You need to close the link on line 114. A validator can really help with these sorts of things.

Electrodesign
07-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks Cary, that's saved me a whole lot of time and trouble.
I've removed the link for now while i sort a workaround for the problem
Thanks to all who posted