PDA

View Full Version : CSS and link problems on upload

Angieanco
07-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Hi new to the forum but hoping someone can help!

I have a couple of problems;

(G4 ImacMac powerpc running 10.4.11)

I am using mx 2004, have had the site for a while and took the plunge and uploaded using cyberduck to my freeola account. Had help with upload from tech guys at freeola.

1. The home page appears but all the text is not displaying in correct css style so throws all the page out. All ok in browser test and indicates all ok in dreamweaver. ???

2. All links do not work from home page. Have relinked in dreamweaver except for home page which will not keep the link in the box have tried target linking rather than browse and makes no difference.

Cant test any remaining pages as cant get to them, so there may be many more problems!

Index page was made by a template then saved (obviously) so ive been doing the updates to that - is that right - not making any difference tho!

I have used caps for some template/page names - does that cause problems?

I have a very very little idea about code so treat me as an idiot please!

This is why I stick to graphic design rather than web!!

Gratefully
Angie

Corrosive
07-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi new to the forum but hoping someone can help!

I have a couple of problems;

(G4 ImacMac powerpc running 10.4.11)

I am using mx 2004, have had the site for a while and took the plunge and uploaded using cyberduck to my freeola account. Had help with upload from tech guys at freeola.

1. The home page appears but all the text is not displaying in correct css style so throws all the page out. All ok in browser test and indicates all ok in dreamweaver. ???

2. All links do not work from home page. Have relinked in dreamweaver except for home page which will not keep the link in the box have tried target linking rather than browse and makes no difference.

Cant test any remaining pages as cant get to them, so there may be many more problems!

Index page was made by a template then saved (obviously) so ive been doing the updates to that - is that right - not making any difference tho!

I have used caps for some template/page names - does that cause problems?

I have a very very little idea about code so treat me as an idiot please!

This is why I stick to graphic design rather than web!!

Gratefully
Angie

We are going to need a link Angie & welcome to the forum.

Angieanco
07-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks!!
www.angieandco.com
what else!!?

Corrosive
07-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks!!
www.angieandco.com
what else!!?

I can't access the pages that the links in your HTML point to. I'd assume that means they aren't there. For instance I tried just typing

http://www.angieandco.com/HTML_FILES/Design.html

and also

http://www.angieandco.com/Design.html

straight into the address bar and the pages weren't found. I don't think your links are the issue I don't think the rest of your site is there or where it is meant to be. The issue with the text styles is the same problem. It can't find the stylesheet.

The template shouldn't be a problem. Making updates to that master file to control your other pages is fine to do.

I try and avoid using CAPS in page/file names.

Angieanco
07-19-2009, 10:57 AM
So do I drop all the other pages onto cyberduck?
sorry said I didnt know what I was doing!!

Corrosive
07-19-2009, 11:01 AM
So do I drop all the other pages onto cyberduck?
sorry said I didnt know what I was doing!!

Sorry, I don't have a Mac so haven't used Cyberduck. You just need to upload all of your site files/pages onto your web space.

Angieanco
07-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Ive uploaded all files now and it all worked except for my links back to my home page.

OPening the template for the index page I cant establish the link. Im trying the browse and the target and it just wont take it? the other pages are linked ok. I have tried this on the actual index page too!

Angieanco
07-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Sorry!

Ive had a problem as my index page originally had a capital "I" which I changed - so ive been through the templates and re assigned to the new file and that seems to have helped but I still cant get it to return to the idex page no matter what i do. Ive updated the template for it again and again and its there as a link but wont display when clicking the button from any other page.

Can you see any problem Im missing?

Corrosive
07-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Sorry!

Ive had a problem as my index page originally had a capital "I" which I changed - so ive been through the templates and re assigned to the new file and that seems to have helped but I still cant get it to return to the idex page no matter what i do. Ive updated the template for it again and again and its there as a link but wont display when clicking the button from any other page.

Can you see any problem Im missing?

Your site structure is a bit weird to be honest and that may be what is causing the confusion. I would tend to place all my pages in the root of the site. This is the first folder you hit when you open a website. Your Index file is there but your other pages are in a folder down called HTML_FILES.

Having said that, I have looked at the links on your pages and they seem to be done OK. Very strange :confused:

Angieanco
07-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Should I change them and take them out of the folder?
I dont understand why the code is telling it to go to the index page but its going back to freeola error page?

Angieanco
07-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Also on the browser window tab its called design template how can I change that?

Corrosive
07-19-2009, 12:02 PM
I dont understand why the code is telling it to go to the index page but its going back to freeola error page?

No, neither do I!

Corrosive
07-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Also on the browser window tab its called design template how can I change that?

This little bit of code...

<title>Design template</title>

is telling it the page title is 'Design Template'. Find it in each page and change it to whatever you need it to be.

d a v e
07-19-2009, 12:18 PM
link would be useful

avoid caps and gaps

Angieanco
07-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Ive been on to Freeola and I have a problem with the "I" in index page that I changed. so have been all through changing the templates and the page title but none of my changes have made any difference.
Very frustrated going out for an hour and hit it again when back - any ideas ! I dont mind when Im doing something wrong but when the software doesnt do what its supposed to i get frustrated and must be doing something else wrong!!

Thanks for your help......

Angieanco
07-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Dave

Yes its a mistake I wont make again!

Why cant I make the changes work!!

www.angieandco.com
Frustrated will be back in hour!

Angieanco
07-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Right Im back.

I have redone the changes to the link again - and re naming in line 7 page title and "save as" to new html files with same name so overwrites completely. It still hasnt changed on upload. Ive quit and reopened and reloaded url again.

This is ridiculous I am so near but just not good enough.

(I cant change the link on the html page as its locked so can only change it in template)

AAHHH Help please!

Corrosive
07-19-2009, 02:43 PM
I've just worked out what your problem is. It is still down to your site structure which I mentioned earlier. All your pages need to be in the root folder. When your template updates the links they will all be correct apart from the index because on most of the pages it is a folder down in the site structure.

You need to sort this out and it should work.

Angieanco
07-19-2009, 02:51 PM
but the index is a folder up so should I put all html pages with the index (remove from HTML FILES folder) - will that change my links?

Angieanco
07-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Corrosive! You are my hero!!!!

So in future no second folders for files!!! no caps and no spaces and Ill be flying!!!

Thank you for your info your time and patience!! Its very much appreciated!!

Regards
Angie

Corrosive
07-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Corrosive! You are my hero!!!!

He, he...thanks! :oops:

So in future no second folders for files!!! no caps and no spaces and Ill be flying!!!

Thank you for your info your time and patience!! Its very much appreciated!!

You are most welcome.