PDA

View Full Version : Feedback or advice/constructive criticism please

blanchard
07-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Hello all,
I've just finished the following website for a friend and I'd like your thoughts please.

www.countywaterwells.co.uk

Corrosive
07-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Hello all,
I've just finished the following website for a friend and I'd like your thoughts please.

www.countywaterwells.co.uk

The look and layout of the website is fine but the background image takes a little while to download (or it does here at least) and you've built it with tables. This would have been an easy layout to build with CSS. What styles you have should also go in a separate style sheet in my mind. Head styles kind of miss the point of having CSS.

d a v e
07-19-2009, 12:17 PM
the text is a bit small - or at least a bit cramped - a bit more spacing between lines would help a lot, as would headings to split up the text a little and provide visual anchors

the problem with using the background image as you have is that when you resize the text it breaks out of the background area.

remember to use alt attributes on all your images

as mentioned above background images should be about half the filesize or less

the testimonials are too light grey - why the different style? the light appearance simply takes away from the weight of the testimonials.

blanchard
07-19-2009, 02:42 PM
ok thanks for your valuable input, that's great.

blanchard
09-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I've re-zapped the website please could you take another look and give me your thoughts thanks

Corrosive
09-06-2009, 07:22 AM
I still like the design as much as I did before. But you've got rid of the tables so looks spot on to me. Good work.

d a v e
09-06-2009, 08:55 AM
looks good. but the text is still too small and breaks out from the white area if you make it bigger. still needs some more line-height. and subheadings.

the lorry looks vert square - a bit of soft brush in photoshop to erase some of that grass in a curve/ 'S' would help and you can see trees through the cab window that have been removed from the background!

header image would probably be smaller as a jpeg - not sure without trying

the cutout on http://www.countywaterwells.co.uk/services.html could do with a bit of attention on at the top ;)

if i have time today i'll show you what i mean, if it helps ;)

all in all it looks pretty good

d a v e
09-06-2009, 10:31 AM
like this for the homepage
http://pp.kpnet.fi/prescott/stuff/cw/cw.htm
increased line height means it's easier to read (well imo ;) ) and the truck less boxy.

also i think you have a typo here
"Should your home or business require a good quality potable water supply in any quantities, please contact us for advice and information." shouldn't that be 'portable' ?

and "colouration" should be "coloration" (at least according to the Oxford English Dictionary)

on the services page (my version - http://pp.kpnet.fi/prescott/stuff/cw/services.html) i redid the picture so it blends into the nav background and so the man's back doesn't have a white glow above it.

oh and on that page you have words underlined that aren't links: use <strong> instead for "Recurrence of Contamination" and "Riser Porosity" or as headings, which is what they appear to be.
your other headings should be proper headings too (helps with search engine ndexing and assigning proper importance) so h1 for the page heading and so on in order of importance.

you should also use blockquotes for your testimonials and you could use a different font for it too like times. (for the quotes)

you need to optimise your gallery images - the thumbnails aren't too bad (though they could be squeezed a bit more) but your main images (i tried a couple) are around 300-450k!! aim for about 100 or there abouts.

i do like the look and feel of your site just think it would be even better if you took on baord some of my suggested tweaks: if you can use the images from my examples then feel free to download them.
i would suggest trying your header images as a jpeg as i'm sure - reasonably optimised from the original - it could be about 35k and all those significant savings in kbs means a saving in your hosting bandwidth and faster loading pages for your potential customers: speedy pages = an impression of a speedy and professional service.

hope this helps :)

blanchard
09-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks Corrosive and Dave,
You are both very helpful, thankyou very much...

Dave I have made a few changes that you suggested The potable water means it's drinkable water as I quizzed this word too...lol

Would you recommend I take the keyline off the index & contact pages too or just the Services page?

I still need to re-size all gallery images, i'll do those later today.

Best regards
Blanchard

d a v e
09-06-2009, 02:42 PM
"Would you recommend I take the keyline off the index & contact pages too or just the Services page?"

what do you mean by the "keyline"?

blanchard
09-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Keyline it the 3 point white line around the image

d a v e
09-06-2009, 03:36 PM
it looks smoother on the index and contact pages so you could leave it as is it.

blanchard
09-06-2009, 03:38 PM
ok cheers for all your help