PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen this before?

dani808
07-18-2009, 08:08 PM
I went to look at the source of a page to see what keywords they were using and why it was taking so long to load , and I noticed something I have never seen before. There is a HUGE amount of negative space between the coding. You have to scroll through a ridiculous amount of blank space to find the code and the code is spread out so you can't even read it. Can anyone tell me why this is? Is it a design flaw and does it have anything to do with loading time? I cant understand why it would do that and how you would even fix it when it makes no sense to me.
Here is the site: http://www.castleresorts.com/

MagicPower
07-18-2009, 11:56 PM
i think the reason to why there is alot of space in the source code and why it is kinda hard to read is may be because the page is protected. i don't think slow loading time has anything to do with the protection.

dani808
07-19-2009, 12:42 AM
I thought too much white space was bad. I was reading about how in cold fusion that you have to use a code cfsilent to stop that because the program has a flaw when you are doing things inside loops it creates white space that can slow your site down. So even if that was teh case with the page being protected, isn't the white space still not good??

DWcourse
07-19-2009, 04:39 AM
All those extra spaces and returns don't really increase the file size that much so they really shouldn't affect the load time.

I suspect the file has been moved among various programs, operating systems or server platforms and picked up the extra space as the file is parsed differently.

d a v e
07-19-2009, 10:30 AM
well all the html is 160k so all that white space does add up to something!

DWcourse
07-19-2009, 02:57 PM
well all the html is 160k so all that white space does add up to something!
I stand corrected. Wow!