PDA

View Full Version : Site differs from PC to PC (Help =( )

Sergio
07-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Heys guys.

I made an website, it shows ok on my PC, well positioned, but in other computers the position changes, sometimes the site is more on the left, and sometimes more on the right, making it look ugly and nothing professional. Can someone help me? I 100% sure that there's a problem in the code, but why this only happens in other computers and not on mine?

DWcourse
07-18-2009, 07:09 PM
So give us a link.

Sergio
07-18-2009, 11:01 PM
There it is. Someone told me that thet problem is that I made all in Div's and I should have made some tables.

DWcourse
07-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Someone is giving you pad advice. Using tables for layout is now considered to be a bad practice (for lots of good reasons I won't go into).

However, the use of AP (absolutely positioned divs) for layout is also a bad practice and that's what you've done. Your AP divs are positioned relative to the top-left of the browser window. So bigger screen = more empty space on the right side. Smaller the screen = less space on the right.

All i can suggest is that you start learning about CSS positioning and don't rely on some program to generate your page layout for you.

And, back to the tables issue, you might be able to get around the immediate problem by having your program generate tables rather than AP divs but I guarantee you'll be back here with other problems very soon. (And our response will be still be, "learning about CSS positioning!")

Sergio
07-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Someone is giving you pad advice. Using tables for layout is now considered to be a bad practice (for lots of good reasons I won't go into).

However, the use of AP (absolutely positioned divs) for layout is also a bad practice and that's what you've done. Your AP divs are positioned relative to the top-left of the browser window. So bigger screen = more empty space on the right side. Smaller the screen = less space on the right.

All i can suggest is that you start learning about CSS positioning and don't rely on some program to generate your page layout for you.

And, back to the tables issue, you might be able to get around the immediate problem by having your program generate tables rather than AP divs but I guarantee you'll be back here with other problems very soon. (And our response will be still be, "learning about CSS positioning!")

Thanks. But is there any way for me to fix this using all the work I've done? I am learning css and dreamweaver practicing, and I've learn lots of things, but at this momento I don't have much time to rebuilt all the website. Can you link me to a tutorial or give me some kind of code or example? Anything at all.

Thanks once again for your help.