PDA

View Full Version : PNG vs JPEG

ThWInd81
07-17-2009, 05:41 PM
I am putting together a website for my Aunt who is an artist. I took pictures of her paintings in RAW format (CR2). I open with Photoshop and make minor level adjustments and resize the image to about 800pixels wide by whatever the length of the cropped painting is. I first saved as a jpeg and immediately noticed a loss in color. The picture lost it's "pop" and a lot of her paintings are "popping" with color. I then tried "save for web" and noticed that the program wanted to save a gif. The gif looked awful because I could see small blocks that looked like pixels in certain areas. The PNG format looks the best but is about twice the size of my jpegs. Because I need the images to look as good as possible.. would PNG work for the website? or are there settings for saving a jpeg without losing the color? (jpeg preferred because of the file size). Thanks very much!

Corrosive
07-17-2009, 05:52 PM
I am putting together a website for my Aunt who is an artist. I took pictures of her paintings in RAW format (CR2). I open with Photoshop and make minor level adjustments and resize the image to about 800pixels wide by whatever the length of the cropped painting is. I first saved as a jpeg and immediately noticed a loss in color. The picture lost it's "pop" and a lot of her paintings are "popping" with color. I then tried "save for web" and noticed that the program wanted to save a gif. The gif looked awful because I could see small blocks that looked like pixels in certain areas. The PNG format looks the best but is about twice the size of my jpegs. Because I need the images to look as good as possible.. would PNG work for the website? or are there settings for saving a jpeg without losing the color? (jpeg preferred because of the file size). Thanks very much!

Save for web certainly loses quality and it also strips the meta data out of an image. This is why the files are smaller and best for the majority of your site. In your case I would go for the PNGs as long as you have the server space. I wouldn't mind waiting slightly longer for a better quality image if I was looking at some awesome paintings. It's just a trade off between download time and quality.

ThWInd81
07-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Thank you very much corrosive! I am just learning dreamweaver and hosting with hostican. I guess using small gifs would work well for thumbnails on the site linked to the larger images? That way I can have a page full of thumbnails that will load quickly and people can choose which painting they want to see in high quality. Is that hard to do?
Also, do you have any experience with hostican?

Corrosive
07-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Thank you very much corrosive! I am just learning dreamweaver and hosting with hostican. I guess using small gifs would work well for thumbnails on the site linked to the larger images? That way I can have a page full of thumbnails that will load quickly and people can choose which painting they want to see in high quality. Is that hard to do?
Also, do you have any experience with hostican?

Look at something like Lightbox 2 for a smart and (fairly) easy to install photo gallery...

http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/

It's free :)

I have no experience of that host. We are UK based so we stick to UK hosts.

Hope this helps.

ThWInd81
07-17-2009, 06:31 PM
I will definitely check that out. Thanks!
I noticed.. I am used to working with jpegs so I thought why not dump a jpeg in PS and save it again as another jpeg. I could not tell a difference between the original and the newly saved version. So.. maybe I should just take care of any white balance/exposure/image size/cropping issues while still RAW, then convert to jpeg and tweak levels so that when I go to save as a jpeg, it will at least remain looking like the image that I have just edited in PS instead of drastically losing color. Know what I'm saying? Your input is extremely appreciated!

d a v e
07-17-2009, 06:32 PM
unless the paintings are very simple (i.e. more like limited colour illustrations like clipart then *don't* use gifs, use jpegs.

i would use save for web and preview the jpeg in the 2-up view and use a high quality setting of around 80-90 (85 is excellent quality). there shuold be very little discernible loss in quality or colour.

ThWInd81
07-18-2009, 01:06 AM
ok now I'm getting irritated. I uploaded a PNG which saved with good colors and everything. When I browsed to the website and looked at the image, it looks like the washed out JPEG did although when I right click and look at the properties.. it says it's a PNG. What is it doing to my pic?
Thanks!
Dustin

DWcourse
07-18-2009, 01:27 AM
Not absolutely sure, but the png might have color profile (perhaps specifically calibrated to your monitor) that is being ignored when the image is viewed in your browser. I believe the colorspace used by browsers is sRGB.

domedia
07-19-2009, 06:20 PM
I will definitely check that out. Thanks!
I noticed.. I am used to working with jpegs so I thought why not dump a jpeg in PS and save it again as another jpeg.!

I would always go from raw file to optimized JPG.

If you open a JPG and save as JPG, even at the same optimization, you automatically lose data (quality).

For example you have a jpg saved at 75% quality. You then open it and save as 75% again. You've now lost more quality from the image.

ThWInd81
07-21-2009, 06:04 AM
ok I think I got it. I was shooting in RAW and when I went to import the RAW into PS I hadn't noticed the option to choose the color space. It looks like the default was Adobe RGB 1998 for print. After I changed this to sRGB before importing, it seems to have fixed the problem.
Thanks for the help guys!