PDA

View Full Version : How can I disable the right click button

TexasGlory
07-16-2009, 10:06 PM
I hope someone can help me figure this out. I am relatively new to using Dreamweaver.

Photos & text have been copied from my site and I'd like to know how to disable the right click. I'd like for entire pages to be unaccessible for anyone to copy or print w/o my permission and I don't want my site source to be viewed or copied either.

I have the scripts that are suggested to use. I inserted those into my HTML, but I haven't had any succcess in keeping the images from being copied.

I don't know exactly where to put the scripts when it says to insert in the head and/or body of the document. Do I insert the script right after the word <head> or <body> or on the next line...or in between the < >?

Also, do I have to publish the edited HTML before the scripts will work or can I see whether or not the script is working when I preview (F12) the page?

I would greatly appreciate any help in figuring this out.

Thanks.

DWcourse
07-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Sorry but I don't believe there is a way to stop a determined person from copying your images. Although there are a lot of ways to make it more difficult.

And scripts SHOULD work in preview mode although there are some reasons why they might not.

TexasGlory
07-17-2009, 01:55 AM
I realize that anyone who really wants to copy images from a site can, but I would like to make it a little harder for 'thieves' to do so.

Do you know exactly where the scripts are placed within the head or body of the document? Between the < > or on a separate line under the <head> or <body>?

Can someone give me an example of how this would look in the coding?

Thanks for your help.

edbr
07-17-2009, 01:58 AM
javascript is normally placed in the <head> or in a seperate file and link to

domedia
07-17-2009, 02:23 AM
The reality is that for anyone to view your website, it has to be downloaded to your computer. So the images are stored somewhere on their computer when they view your website. :-(

Once it's there they have it already. I would the same strategy as other photography sites: 1. watermark your images - and 2. Contact the site woner who's using your images. If contacting the site owner does not provide results, contact their hosting company which is liable for things hosted on their servers.

MagicPower
07-17-2009, 06:50 PM
the closest you can get to achieving what you want is by using html protection or encryption tools. they do various tasks such as preventing viewers from viewing your page source code, stop spam robots from extrecting emails. Also has features such as right click disable, printing disable, password protect your pages.

Regarding image protection you can;
- Protect image on page by using server-side script (PHP, Perl and ASP)

- Protect image on page by converting it into Flash movie

- Protect image on page by splitting it into pieces

- Protect image on page by adding text-base or image-based watermark to it

I once had html protector but i found it hard work when re-editing the pages.

d a v e
07-17-2009, 07:35 PM
the closest you can get to achieving what you want is by using html protection or encryption tools. they do various tasks such as preventing viewers from viewing your page source code, stop spam robots from extrecting emails. Also has features such as right click disable, printing disable, password protect your pages.

Regarding image protection you can;
- Protect image on page by using server-side script (PHP, Perl and ASP)

- Protect image on page by converting it into Flash movie

- Protect image on page by splitting it into pieces

- Protect image on page by adding text-base or image-based watermark to it

I once had html protector but i found it hard work when re-editing the pages.
all you can realistically do is what dom suggested, all of the above doesn't mean squat when you can just take a screenshot and crop it

Blue_Vision
07-28-2009, 09:09 AM
your only choice to protect images is by watermarking. Second best I'd say is making flash video's out of it but they can still screenshot.

Right clicking is to easy to disable and everybody knows how to do it. Personally we put blank images infront of our images on our photography sites so that it throws them off but still can't be screenshot or worked around.