PDA

View Full Version : does ie 5 & 7 can display png image (transparent background) ??

fattat
07-10-2009, 10:44 AM
does ie 5 & 7 can display png image (transparent background) ??
i know ie6 cant display png image well, but i not sure ie 5 & 7.

i know how to fix this problem, just want make sure which ie version cant.

Corrosive
07-10-2009, 10:46 AM
does ie 5 & 7 can display png image (transparent background) ??
i know ie6 cant display png image well, but i not sure ie 5 & 7.

i know how to fix this problem, just want make sure which ie version cant.

IE 7 can display transparent PNG but IE 5 (and 5.5) can't. To be honest though, just fix IE6.

fattat
07-11-2009, 05:11 AM
IE 7 can display transparent PNG but IE 5 (and 5.5) can't. To be honest though, just fix IE6.

even ie5 using iepngfix.htc also cant display transparent background..??:confused:
i not sure because i dont have ie 5, cant test on it..

and why i say that is because recently i download a web template
and at the top of the script is
<!--[if IE 6]>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="iecss.css" />
<![endif]-->
i wonder why here just for ie6 only..
is that even ie5 cant fix the transparent background??

Corrosive
07-11-2009, 07:10 AM
even ie5 using iepngfix.htc also cant display transparent background..??:confused:
i not sure because i dont have ie 5, cant test on it..

and why i say that is because recently i download a web template
and at the top of the script is
<!--[if IE 6]>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="iecss.css" />
<![endif]-->
i wonder why here just for ie6 only..
is that even ie5 cant fix the transparent background??

Give it a try. We have some old PCs at work with IE5.5. I can look on monday if you have a URL by then.

jaymo
07-11-2009, 05:47 PM
To my horor, my bank were still using IE 5.0 and when I was in there with the business banking manager, my png logo had a grey background instead of transparent. If a huge bank can't upgrade their browsers, even with all the security risks, there will be plenty of users using it.

DWcourse
07-11-2009, 08:10 PM
To my horor, my bank were still using IE 5.0 and when I was in there with the business banking manager, my png logo had a grey background instead of transparent. If a huge bank can't upgrade their browsers, even with all the security risks, there will be plenty of users using it.

I check out about 16,000 visits to 3 sites with different demographics and found a total of 2 visits from IE5. If I was you I'd worry more about having money in that bank than I'd worry about IE!

domedia
07-11-2009, 10:28 PM
It all depends on your visitor demographics. Some sites have IE5 visitors more than others. Some businesses are forced to use old IE's because of the custom build applications they have running internally.

The only thing that matters is what *your* visitors are using. Check your logs 8)

DWcourse
07-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Well, I'd still get my money out. But if you're going to design for IE5, why not just get rid of the png?

(Or at least right an IE5 specific style that doesn't use the png background image)

fattat
07-13-2009, 03:26 AM
Give it a try. We have some old PCs at work with IE5.5. I can look on monday if you have a URL by then.

sorry..i dont have server to upload it
but i upload the file to hosting file website,
can you download it and test in your computer??
http://www.zshare.net/download/62590542b0b23301/

the logo tools shop is png file..