PDA

View Full Version : meta tags

richcodesign
07-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Hello

Correct me if im wrong, but is it totally illegal to have meta keywords hidden in your document?

For example have a particular word listed in the background 1000 times, where it can not be seen

Corrosive
07-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Hello

Correct me if im wrong, but is it totally illegal to have meta keywords hidden in your document?

For example have a particular word listed in the background 1000 times, where it can not be seen

The likely thing is that Google will pick this up and ban your site. I have had it happen to me! I have, however, seen other sites get away with it. Just beware!

edbr
07-09-2009, 01:44 AM
im pretty sure they will get you if you do that. over stuffing in itself can give you a problem also . IMO, take them out , not worth the risk

DWcourse
07-09-2009, 02:54 AM
Keyword stuffing quit working a while back. Even if your site doesn't get banned, odds are it will hurt your rankings more than help.

My general rule is if you've thought about doing something questionable, Google has probably thought about how to catch you at it (unless you're some sort of evil genius).

edbr
07-09-2009, 03:03 AM
where a white hat not a black one

richcodesign
07-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks for that info.... my company asked me to do this to their site. I did however tell them its not good practice and google will find it

jaymo
07-09-2009, 11:58 AM
I heard BMW tried this and Google said fix it or we won't let your site back on. Of course, they then fixed it.

domedia
07-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Hidden content and meta keywords are two different things, keep that in mind. You can use meta keywords as much as you want, but it's not something that is going to help you with SEO.