PDA

View Full Version : Issues with iframe targetting... pls pls help...

stevenradams
07-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Hello everybody,

I am a graphic designer trying to expand my offering, and am using DW to develop my own website to study and learn... so please don't wow me with code, as I'm better in design/split mode ;)

The issue I'm having seems sooo basic, but I just can't figure it out. Basically, I have a layout with a container div holding three divs in it for the navmenu, content and external links areas.

Everything is dandy, except for the targeting of the links. The content div contains an iframe which links should be loading content into, however half the time they just won't target it, and half the time they will.... some browsers do, some don't. It's driving me NUTS.

There is a (very) early page to view at www.adamsapplemedia.co.uk/home.html if that helps... it references external css files, but I don't expect that they are impacting upon this issue... maybe??

Any help would be reeeally appreciated.

Steve

P.s. don't pay any attention to the actual destination of the links... they are just reliable tester destinations.

d a v e
07-05-2009, 12:06 PM
why are you using an iframe?

stevenradams
07-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Simply because I'm creating menus/external link areas that'll update daily, and renewing them on every page would be a pain, no?

I looked at loading content directly into divs, however the only method I could find was using js, and that's still very beyond me. I'm a graphic designer using DW and split mode to learn the coding elements... I'm studying the code that is created automatically as I work, so that in time I'll be have far less dependency on WYSIWYG software, but I'm no where near it yet.

To be frank, even though I know iframes have their issues, now that I've come across the problem, solving it has become an obsession...

Corrosive
07-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Simply because I'm creating menus/external link areas that'll update daily, and renewing them on every page would be a pain, no?

You can use either Dreamweaver's template system or PHP includes for this. Update on file and all your pages will update. Sorting that iframe issue will be a pretty pointless task IMO.

stevenradams
07-05-2009, 12:23 PM
wouldn't know where to start with php includes, though i might be able to get the hang of the template idea if it automates the update... how would it work? Would I specify the two 'changing' divs so that they updated in all pages?

Corrosive
07-05-2009, 12:26 PM
wouldn't know where to start with php includes, though i might be able to get the hang of the template idea if it automates the update... how would it work? Would I specify the two 'changing' divs so that they updated in all pages?

Here, try this...

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/dreamweaver-templates.php

stevenradams
07-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks for this tip Corrosive spent the day yesterday working with DWTs, and they're awesome slightly annoying that you can't test in browser whilst editing the .dwt file, but other than that, a great way of working. :)

Corrosive
07-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks for this tip Corrosive spent the day yesterday working with DWTs, and they're awesome slightly annoying that you can't test in browser whilst editing the .dwt file, but other than that, a great way of working. :)

Hey, no problem. You dumped that iframe now then??

stevenradams
07-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Yep *separate pages based on a .dwt using a central content div as main editable region, rather than an iframe to load into.

Only issue I'm having now is that the content div grows, but the container div doesn't seem to grow with it (despite having a 100% height setting and me trying every overflow setting). I'd prefer a container that grew, rather than a scroll bar in the middle of the page...

Thanks for the steers though I'm learning quickly with everyone's help :)