PDA

View Full Version : Template question

rhythmofthecosmos
07-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Hi,

I have made a template viewable at www.leehughes.co.uk. For all those links I plan to use this template as a layout and use the left hand side for different content also this will be my editable region.

My question is that will templates update pages automatically?

By this I mean, say I wanted to change the layout a bit or add some new information. Can i just apply that change to the main template and it will change the other templates? Or do I have to do it the hard way and open each link and add the new template to it?

thanks

MagicPower
07-04-2009, 03:15 PM
in Dw, you're gonna have to do it the hard way but for the image that you have got as the header, lets say you eidt it in photoshop and overwrite it in the images folder, that one will update automatically on every page but for the content e.g text that is not similar on every page you're gonna av to do it d hard way to change it.

rhythmofthecosmos
07-04-2009, 03:33 PM
:(.. you would think they would have an option to do that wouldn't you think?

it would save so much time!

Thanks for clearing that up anyway :)

DWcourse
07-04-2009, 05:36 PM
That's not quite correct.

In Dreamweaver, if you update parts of a template that are not in an editable region and then save the template, DW will offer to update all the pages that are based upon the template. Say yes and it's done without opening any other files.

However if you update the template in an editable region that will not "pass through" to other pages based upon the template.

Make sure you create new pages based upon the template. Don't open the template and "save as…" that doesn't work.