PDA

View Full Version : why are backgrounds in sections?

dani808
07-02-2009, 09:02 PM
I bought access to one of these websites that offer lots of templates to download to save me time on building layouts. (found out post of them were in photoshop which I am realizing it a total hassle, with slicing, etc)

Anyway, I am newbie (self taught) and I have a question. I noticed that all the background images are broken into sections. Why is this? What is the benefit of doing it this way rather than just one image?

thanks!

DWcourse
07-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Actually, there are good reasons NOT to break up background images.

domedia
07-02-2009, 10:58 PM
To reduce the number of requests to the server (more requests = site loads slower), it's a good idea to put all background images in one file.

dani808
07-03-2009, 01:52 AM
then if it is better not to break it up, why do they do it?

DWcourse
07-03-2009, 03:57 AM
We'd need to see the design to tell if there is a reason.

Corrosive
07-03-2009, 07:10 AM
I bought access to one of these websites that offer lots of templates to download to save me time on building layouts. (found out post of them were in photoshop which I am realizing it a total hassle, with slicing, etc)

Anyway, I am newbie (self taught) and I have a question. I noticed that all the background images are broken into sections. Why is this? What is the benefit of doing it this way rather than just one image?

thanks!

If you are building sites for clients, I hope you are honest with them about what they are getting.

domedia
07-03-2009, 05:31 PM
then if it is better not to break it up, why do they do it? It might be the only way they know how to do it. Same reason some people use tables for designing websites.