PDA

View Full Version : How to download existing site into Dreamweaver

Spud
07-01-2009, 08:02 PM
I have a friend who has a web site and wants me to do some work on it. Can I down load his site into Dreamweaver and work on it then upload changes to his hosting server? If I download in FTP Filezilla will flash files download also.
Needing help doing this if possible.:confused:

domedia
07-01-2009, 08:04 PM
An FTP client will download any files you tell it to. Try downloading the site and see what happens ;)

Corrosive
07-01-2009, 08:04 PM
I have a friend who has a web site and wants me to do some work on it. Can I down load his site into Dreamweaver and work on it then upload changes to his hosting server? If I download in FTP Filezilla will flash files download also.
Needing help doing this if possible.:confused:

Yes. Just set the site details/FTP up in Dreamweaver and synchronise >> Get newer files from remote server. Simples

Spud
07-01-2009, 08:05 PM
I did just now and the files come in, but when I open the pages do not see the photos and flash that is to be on top of the pages.

Corrosive
07-01-2009, 08:10 PM
I did just now and the files come in, but when I open the pages do not see the photos and flash that is to be on top of the pages.

Well that is how you do it. There won't be any other answers so suggest you check everything and try again.

Spud
07-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Can't find the synchronise button? Yes I am really!
bad

Corrosive
07-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Can't find the synchronise button? Yes I am really!
bad

Manual, Help Files? These things ship with Dreamweaver for a reason you know! :wink:

Spud
07-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Yes and that is where I have been since my last post. Searching for the file in help.

Corrosive
07-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Yes and that is where I have been since my last post. Searching for the file in help.

Nice.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/9.0/help.html?content=WSc78c5058ca073340dcda9110b1f693 f21-7ea4.html

Spud
07-01-2009, 08:40 PM
I have gone to the link you provided and when I follow these directions: Click the Options menu in the upper-right corner, and then select Edit > Select Newer Local or Edit > Select Newer Remote....I do not get what they out-line. I can not see Newer Remote in the edit.

Spud
07-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I think I am getting closer. Now trying to identify the difference between the green or tan folders in the Files area. When I click on a green folder the sync buton comes up and on the tan folders it will not come up? What is the difference between the 2 folders?

Spud
07-01-2009, 10:02 PM
OK, Seems like I have the local synced to remote. Now when I make a change on the web page and "Put" it back out to the remote it does not change on the web site. I select the page "contact us" and then click on the "Put Files" arrow and the new content should upload to the server. Right? It does not upload.

Corrosive
07-02-2009, 05:45 AM
OK, Seems like I have the local synced to remote. Now when I make a change on the web page and "Put" it back out to the remote it does not change on the web site. I select the page "contact us" and then click on the "Put Files" arrow and the new content should upload to the server. Right? It does not upload.

Try doing the synchronize process in reverse to what you did before. Put newer files to remote. You are on the right track.

Spud
07-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Looks like I got it working OK. I went in and clicked on "Manage Sites" and set up folder for the downloaded site and the folder turned green and then sync bars appeared.
Thanks for your time and kindness.