PDA

View Full Version : whats the smallest image size?

dzwestwindsor
07-01-2009, 02:01 PM
sorry this is a really simple question but i really dont know-- if i want a huge ginourmous background image that takes up the whole screen which file type should i use? like jpg, bitmap, gif, etc.

d a v e
07-01-2009, 02:06 PM
depends on the image - can you show us?

dzwestwindsor
07-01-2009, 02:21 PM
what do you mean depends on the image? heres the URL-- http://www.dijitalsanat.com/data/media/314/ws_Old_Dirt_Road_1920x1200.jpg by default its a jpeg.. do i need to change it so it loads faster?

domedia
07-01-2009, 02:49 PM
what do you mean depends on the imageIt depends on the image which file format is the most appropriate.
As a general rule, photos are best served as JPG's, and illustrations with large single color areas are best served as GIF's. The best way it to compare them when saving for web in PS.

Death Dream
07-01-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm simply going to answer the question on the title he asked and say 1x1 is the smallest image you can have. But it would be just a solid color so it would be a waste to make an image do that when code can be used for that.

~Death Dream~

domedia
07-01-2009, 03:12 PM
But it would be just a solid color or a degree of transparency ;)

kremo5le
07-01-2009, 04:21 PM
sorry this is a really simple question but i really dont know-- if i want a huge ginourmous background image that takes up the whole screen which file type should i use? like jpg, bitmap, gif, etc.

Use JPEGs for images that are picture like.
Use GIFs for images that do not carry lots of colors.
Use PNGs for transparencies. Sometimes you will optimize a lot with them too.

Play around with the settings when you are exporting the image in Photoshop or Illustrator (if you use these programs). Look at the loading times and size down at the bottom for a quick preview.

Good luck!

DWcourse
07-01-2009, 04:25 PM
As a general rule, I would avoid using a large image file for your background. It will take a long time to download and display and only people with a large screen (and the browser window maximized) will be able to see it all anyway.

d a v e
07-01-2009, 07:11 PM
yep that image should be a jpeg but it should be more compressed i.e. lower quality so that is smaller file size. i would aim for about 200k or less

dzwestwindsor
07-02-2009, 12:31 AM
wait so if i have that image which file type would be smallest? jepgs, gifs, or pngs?

DWcourse
07-02-2009, 03:11 AM
If you insist on using it that large, saving for web from Photoshop as a jpg with a 30 quality setting should get it down around 170k. That's as good as you'll get in terms of file size.

kremo5le
07-02-2009, 05:13 AM
wait so if i have that image which file type would be smallest? jepgs, gifs, or pngs?

I recommend you download the IrfanView software; it is free and it makes image file type conversion a breeze (among many other features). I use it all the time for this purpose mostly...

Give it a try! By the way, sometimes is Jpegs, sometimes is PNGs, sometimes is GIFs. It all depends on what you are uploading.

dzwestwindsor
07-02-2009, 02:06 PM
can gifs have transparency?

Corrosive
07-02-2009, 02:42 PM

Short answer is 'yes'. Long answer is here...

http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/graphics/transparent_gifs.php3

kremo5le
07-02-2009, 05:37 PM

I did not know this. Thank you for the question and the answer! :mrgreen: