PDA

View Full Version : Email Confirmation

mac
06-30-2009, 10:16 PM
First to make this a bit easier is there any book or good reference site with sample code in preferrably ASP. I would then be interested in ASP.NET. Currently I have a site in ASP and have not converted it over as of yet.

I have found CGI and PHP references. Why is this so common?

I am running Server 2003 and would like to send out a confirmation email after registration. One where they would click on a link in the email to confirm their email address. Being this is so popular on the net I can not believe this is so difficult to do.

Any one have sample code and a good reference site to flesh it out a bit?

PS I have heard of ASPMail, CDONT etc. What advantages do these apps have? I prefer not to download another app. if possible.

mangofreak
08-17-2009, 04:24 PM
I have never done that but I should. I think it works as follows. When someone registers, the info goes to a db. The db stores the info and sends an email with a form and a hidden file(with a value of on or off) when the person clicks on the link sent on the email the form submits the value to the server and activates the account.

Now, it is my theory as I have not found anything explaining this nor I tested it. However, my crazy head tells me it would work.

Good luck.